Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    It seems , unsurprisingly , that we have a universal dislike for DRS .

I hate it , and particularly like the idea of restricting it's use .

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    It's a bad solution for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    DRS is a gimmick and a complete embarrassment to the sport. It should be scrapped. I'd rather see one decent overtake in a race than 100 DRS moves.

I'd actually have no problem with DRS should the guy in front also have it but the way it is, is just stupid. It's probably fine for fair weather supporters but not people that have been following F1 since the early 90s like myself.

The only way out of this is for the following car to somehow be able to generate similar downforce to the guy in front. As Lewis eluded to recently, I don't know how such a solution would be implemented but it would be great if a solution was found. Whether that might somehow be some sort of aerodynamic solution that cause the airflow to merge at the back of the leading car so the following one doesn't lose downforce or something to do with the front wings so as the front doesn't wash out. But it's the only way I can see F1 getting out of this, otherwise it's going to be the same as it has been for a long time.

4. Likes: steveaki13 (17th November 2015),zako85 (17th November 2015)
    Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The only way out of this is for the following car to somehow be able to generate similar downforce to the guy in front. As Lewis eluded to recently, I don't know how such a solution would be implemented but it would be great if a solution was found. Whether that might somehow be some sort of aerodynamic solution that cause the airflow to merge at the back of the leading car so the following one doesn't lose downforce or something to do with the front wings so as the front doesn't wash out. But it's the only way I can see F1 getting out of this, otherwise it's going to be the same as it has been for a long time.
    The problem is, that exactly that is simply not possible, unless you build cars that generate almost no aerodynamic downforce. Such cars would be wind-guided vehicles, and more or less the sort of death-trap several drivers died in each year in the fifties. Every object that moves through air at speed creates wake turbulence and that inevitably influences any object that follows close. You might be able to soften the effect, but at the speeds F1 cars are going, you'll always have that problem unless you bring back active suspension and the likes.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Why can't we go back to the mid-90s style aero? I think the close racing between Hill, Schumacher, Coulthard, Villeneuve, and others was great, with cars following each other for many many laps until a definitive overtake move happened.

The current "slingshot" style DRS overtakes are indeed an embarrassment for the sport. DRS also makes the races boring, because as I have mentioned there is significantly less close racing because of it.

We hate it , but we have it , and it isn't like they are talking about taking it away .

But , can we make it better ?

Would making it for lead-lap drivers only , help at all ?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    We hate it , but we have it , and it isn't like they are talking about taking it away .

But , can we make it better ?

Would making it for lead-lap drivers only , help at all ?
    It's hard to see how. It looks to me like it would be more popular if you could only use it for lapping traffic.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    That's quite a fun idea.

Drop DRS as it is and scrap blue flags and just give leaders DRS for clearing back markers.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Geez , Andy , I'm only trying to make it better .

Those leading Mercs have enough power that they can have all sorts of downforce , so the effect is negated to a degree larger than the rest .
    It seems they can make a bigger hole in the air , so they are hard to follow .

So , in effect , the only chance Lewis had to fight was when they encountered those backmarkers .
    It's probably happened many times before , but it really bugged me when Nico was able to use them to get the DRS open , when they should be diving out of the way so as to not affect the leaders's races .

Blue flags are meant to keep them out of the way , and effectively deals with that , whilst allowing for a cleverly positioned pass , given that the guy being passed must go off line and slow .

DRS killed that possibility , at least this time , and would be easy to fix so it wouldn't happen again .

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I don't want those guys to fix anything. I had enough of their fixing. In fact I'd like to have most of the things they fixed in the last 15 years unfixed.