Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I think you're a bit too harsh with Latvala, he has been runner up twice and in his day he is the fastest one, he has beaten Ogier in a straight fight more than once. Don't want to say he is as good as him but he's not just a good driver, and as Rallyper said you can have all the money you want but you don't win 14 rallies with them.

Liked 352 Times in 184 Posts
    Latvala is already 29 - so wrong thread here to discuss him.

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irish_tiger View Post
    I have to agree , but the reason why we have 'two frogs' dominating the sport is real competition in France .I was at the Rallye Du Var in 2012 i couldn't get over the amount of 'one make series' going on .
    You had an R1 Class - The Renault Twingo Cup , ninteen entries - and one Ford Fiesta
    The R2 Class :Renault Twingo R2 Cup , ten entries - and four other entries in different makes
    The R3 class : thirty seven entries in total !
    Peugeot 207 RC R3T cup :twelve cars
    Citroën DS3 R3T cup : twelve cars
    Renault Clio R3 Cup : seven cars
    other makes : six cars
    There are other cups going on on other French events in R1 and R2 classes etc , and why is this ? because France has three Car manufacturers - Peugeot , Citroën, and Renault so they are all competing against each other so young drivers get a chance . You dont have this in any other country.
    In a way, you are right saying that the three manufacturers enters in France because it's there country. But in another way, that's not exactly explaining this. I mean, Peugeot Sport, Citroën Racing and Renault Sport Technologies aren't doing R3, R2 and R1 to promote themselves. No they want to sell it, and make business with it.
    And they do a lot of cups in France, because it's their main market to sell these cars (and then the spare part to run it in second / third hand), not because it's France, their country. If Slovenia was their main market, all of them would organize cups in Slovenia.
    But it's sure that the popularity of the french manufacturers, and the strong links they created with the local drivers help them to have this big market.

You can see in France other cups done by outsider manufacturers (Suzuki recently, and now Opel, and there's rumor that a GT86 R3 trophy could be created), for the same reason. One make cup are part of french rally history, and there's always a lot of driver to start in it. And one make cup is the best way to sell car. None would buy an Adam Cup or a 207 RC R3T to do performance in rally. But with a cup, you buy it, because you fight on equal terms with other drivers.

For me, nothing prevent doing cup in other countries. It's based on shoulders of local dealers. In Spain, RMC Competition is doing a Fiesta R2 Cup, which seems to be good. You just need to have good prize (money or a drive for the next season).
    I'm quite sure, if Peugeot Italia wanted to do a 208 Cup with a one-year 208 T16 drive, there would be a lot of young guys started (a maybe a future star).
    Last edited by vino_93; 14th February 2015 at 11:14.

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    A lot of countries arent interested in a one make Cup series. I'll eat my hat if we ever get a Vauxhall Adam Cup in the UK.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    "Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???"

Other than a BDA in Kielder, no.

Liked 2,850 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Jouhki to invest in Teemu Sunninen for the future. Interesting. Sunninen in my opinion hasn´t done that much to get that amount of attention, or has he?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irish_tiger View Post
    ... the reason why we have 'two frogs' dominating the sport ...
    The reason we have "two frogs" dominating the sport is because they have been nurtured and supported throughout their entire career and have enjoyed the significant advantages of factory drives from the outset.
    There is an enormous advantage in knowing that the outcome of today's event will not adversely impact your career tomorrow.
    Neither were particularly special early in their careers and both made mistakes but there is significant confidence which comes knowing that the mistakes carry no consequence. The ability to test limits is enhanced and the learning process quickened.
    There is no question that the Sebs are head and shoulders above all others and have been so for the past decade however they are the product of privilege few, if any, others have enjoyed.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

8. Likes: Miika (17th February 2015)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    The reason we have "two frogs" dominating the sport is because they have been nurtured and supported throughout their entire career and have enjoyed the significant advantages of factory drives from the outset.
    There is an enormous advantage in knowing that the outcome of today's event will not adversely impact your career tomorrow.
    Neither were particularly special early in their careers and both made mistakes but there is significant confidence which comes knowing that the mistakes carry no consequence. The ability to test limits is enhanced and the learning process quickened.
    There is no question that the Sebs are head and shoulders above all others and have been so for the past decade however they are the product of privilege few, if any, others have enjoyed.
    Well mostly agree...thingis there have been a few others who have the privilege of having essentially limitless funds to play at all kinds of nonsense...some well known American springs to mind but I forget the name at the moment---and despite---or maybe because of the no consequence thing---achieved nothing...

Those guys still musty posses an internal drive to improve, and the disciplne to apply what they learn and they obviously have and the results show itin a long string of achievements-
    --more than just hits on You-tube like Ben Clock or whatever that guy was called...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Those guys still musty posses an internal drive to improve, and the disciplne to apply what they learn
    Absolutely agree.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Latvala had the same treatment, hirvonen also, solberg also, martin also and many many others...

Loeb was not special early ?? LOL...