Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
As far as I know they mock, let me rephrase that, they insult everyone and everything. It's enough to check out the first page of images google returns to see nothing is off limits for these guys. And TBH I didn't really see anything that comes close to being witty or funny, nothing but pure insults. So while what happened is horrible, it doesn't change the fact that this paper is just garbage. I don't really comprehend why everyone's charlie now and why the french government paid them 1 million euros. Isn't it enough that 2 policemen died trying to defend their right to publish their filth?
The problem you have when free speech is limited is knowing when to stop. In a free society many people say things which are offensive to others. It's the price you pay for being able to freely express your own views. Banning certain viewpoints may sound good when it's something you find offensive.

The problem is "mission creep". When you have banned the most excessive and unpleasant expressions, where do you go from there? The range of subjects allowed in discourse is now narrower. There are always people who will strongly object to what is now the outer range of expression (after banning the other stuff). Repeat the cycle until you have a tightly controlled society with essentially NO freedom of speech.