Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 Or V8

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Honda would have to spend all that money developing their motor and it's energy recovery systems, and then throw it all away after a single year.

It's not hard to imagine them being unhappy about that.

Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    V6's aren't necessarily the cause of the sounds.
    Agreed. The V6's aren't the cause but the V6's are wearing this as part of the "revolution" in F1. Its done now and this could just be Bernie's way of saying I told you so.

The teams have produced marvellous performers - even the "slow" ones. I can't see any way that F1 could ever return to a V8 based formula.

Now, if the V6 adoption was driven by the manufacturers then should we expect 3 cylinders in years to come?

I wonder how long before KERS is dumped.

My F1 would be loud and simple and the rule book written on a beer coaster. They've chosen another way...

Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Listen to the Ferrari's here and tell me that isn't pure art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg

(huge sigh)...

Can you believe I had actually forgotten how good that Ferrari sounded. Thanks.

I have never had a problem with how Bernie see's F1.

He should be supported more than he is harpooned.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    Honda would have to spend all that money developing their motor and it's energy recovery systems, and then throw it all away after a single year.

It's not hard to imagine them being unhappy about that.
    Yes, it's rather stupid for Bernie (and Christian Horner) to think that switching boats mid-stream would be a good idea. Did no one realize that the world was in the worst recession since the 1930's and sponsorship would be down when this formula change was put in stone? Do these people not venture out into the real world at least once or twice a year? But now, we have what we have. And IMO, they're going to have to live with it, or risk losing at least one, if not two, engine manufacturers. But as these development costs are amortized, the cost of the engines should come down, depending on how the various OEMs have structured their cost formulas. I hope they do tweak them, make them louder and (most of all) let them up the revs by doing away with that completely stooopid fuel flow rule. A lot of money was already wasted developing engines that could/should rev higher than they're being allowed to rev. And for what reason? Oh yeah, to prove that F1 is environmentally friendly. Please! This is F1 racing! Let the tree huggers watch Formula E if they want to calculate carbon footprints!

These things sound about like IRL engines because they rev to about the same range as IRL engines. Let them get up to about 14 grand and with some exhaust tweaking, I don't think anyone is going to complain about "the noise". The turbo is not the problem. The 2.65 turbos from the old CART series (not the spec Champ Car series!) sounded just fine. That's a sweet sound (sounds - since the Hondas, Mercedes, Ford-Cosworths and Toyotas had different engine notes) that will go with me to my grave.

Since I didn't care for the N/A V8s F1 was using either, I'd be fine with just sticking with this formula, but refining it to make it more "racey".
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Keep the new engines but install a speaker into the cars to make them sound like f1 cars again. It could be an MP3 of the old V8 or V10 on loop. Jobs a good un.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Keep the new engines but install a speaker into the cars to make them sound like f1 cars again. It could be an MP3 of the old V8 or V10 on loop. Jobs a good un.
    Hehe. I don't think it needs to be that blatant but I'm sure the exhausts could be changed in some way to make the sound better.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 650 Times in 514 Posts
    I think they should just hand out earplugs at the track that play the melody of screaming v-10s.
    Also sell them online that simulcast that sound for $199.99
    Last edited by Tazio; 23rd December 2014 at 16:23.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 795 Times in 588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    I think they should just hand out earplugs at the track that play the melody of screaming v-10s.
    Also sell them online that simulcast that sound for $199.99
    Tazzy , you might just have something there .

If you had the headphones programmable , you could offer the sounds of any year , subbed in for the current sound , because the cars , as shown in telemetry data offered on-screen , give enough information to enable the geek to apply the Doppler effect to the gear change on the way by .

Mind you , they'd have to figure a way to realistically apply the old sounds to the modern gear box as well , without sounding too contrived .
    You could have an array of sounds from which to choose , from 12 down to 4 cyl , turbo or not , and hell , toss in the sound of the Jetson space car , or the sound of a galloping horse if you want , for each of the different cars on the grid .

You need a nerd , Taz .
    You've got a revenue stream there for Bernie to have a look at .

Then , you can buy nine more of those scooters , and hire the girls to ride them .

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    There's no reason why V6 turbos can't sound good (see late-1980s), so there must be some scope for improving the sound of the current configuration. At the moment they sound like electric window motors, so plenty of room for improvement.

The old V8s sounded like high-revving four-cylinder engines thanks to the firing order, so nothing much to get excited about there, although they sounded infinitely better than the current efforts.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    I liked Horner's idea of throwing out the ers/kers equipment and run the current engines with an unlimited fuel rate. They could turn them a little higher and as a result they would sound better. Horner recons they could get 900hp out of an engine like that.

In the long run the FIA needs to make up it's mind and stick with it for five years. Otherwise development costs are going to break everyone.

While they are at it, I'de like to see the DRS disappear too so they can get back to real racing and honest overtaking.