Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
I think (and it is a theory that some prominent talking-heads have also suggested) that if Michael had a weakness, it was in his split-second moments of judgement.

I do not believe it was premeditated, as I don't believe Jerez 97 was the result of a masterplan, and I don't believe that Schumacher had a moral issue with turning in at that moment purely because he was in racing mode.

To crucify somebody for something premediated, as a believe Senna at Suzuka 90 was (don't have to believe it, he admitted as much) is one thing, but I never thought Michael deliberately carried out any of his controversial moments behind the wheel with the mindset that "this is wrong, but feck it"...I think it was more "Feck! What Can I Do?" panic than evidence of a dark, calculating soul.

It was not pretty, but I really don't believe that in that moment Michael had the ability to remove himself from the instant and think "oh no, best not".

Somebody with that fierce competitive instinct cannot just take time-out until after the event.

If you recall, he was genuinely surprised by the feelings of resentment against him after Jerez 97....which, while in no way endorsing them, does for me make it clear that it wasn't the act of a totally unscrupulous bxxxxxd that many have claimed it was. Same applies to Adelaide 94.
Very good arguement that I have some sympathy with.

For the record, I don't beleive for one second he is a heartless b***ard and never have. Ruthless B***ard on the track but off it, he seems a genuine and genorous purson.

If I put myself in his position on the grid in '94, I would say to myself:

"If he wants to get by me, he's going to have to come through me and I'm not going to make it easy if he sticks a nose up the inside. He needs to pass me, not the other way around so lets see how far he's prepared to go."

That is being hard and knowing that if he forces it up the inside where there's no room, you will shut the door quite legally.

This is where I have some sympathy because Schumy still had that mindset but was out of it really. He just followed through on his game plan and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant to do it but more through instinct than any rational decision.

However, he did do it and the only thing that weakens his position is the fact he did exactly the same against JV.

Still, it was a long time ago and that's life. Peoples views on MS will not change now but perhaps mellow and accept