In light of the Stewards decision after the Hamilton/Verstappen crash in Monza it might be worth discussing what general rules, both written and unwritten might be applied... where... and why... but if we all agreed to go by a general set of rules we would probably argue less and get on a bit better?

I know its a very grey area and incidents are often seen only through the eyes of our preferred drivers. I dont think any of us are immune to that, myself included.

The official FIA guidelines are essentially far too vague and open to individual Stewards interpretation which means there is often no consistancy with decisions which results in the constant bickering here.
Let's at least try and have a calm and respectful discussion about this and that way we can all try and see these things from others perspectives.

The guide that makes a lot of sense to me and what I've always gone by is collated and generalised from previous Stewards rulings but remains unofficial and so are generally unwritten rules or precedents.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014...les-of-racing/

If we go to Section 5..

5. 'Disputes over the apex'

"Consider the textbook method for overtaking in a corner: the attacker takes an inside line, gets alongside the defender in the braking zone, and beats the defender to the apex. If the attacker is ahead at the apex, there is no dispute over ownership of the racing line. The defender must yield. But what if the attacker is only partially alongside? Who owns the apex then?

Different racing series have their own criteria for how far alongside an attacker must be to have a claim to the apex. In Formula 1, the norms have been explored and refined over the years as a result of drivers like Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher pushing the boundaries and exploiting any gray areas. Today, it is generally accepted that the attacker must be at least halfway alongside the defender when they reach the apex to have a reasonable claim to this piece of track. Moreover, the attacker should not have achieved this position by carrying too much speed to make the corner — this method is called dive-bombing."

If Max is at least halfway alongside Lewis then surely Lewis has to leave the space?
I fully accept that Max did not earlier in the race and so should probably have received a warning for that regardless of the fact that there was no collision (because Lewis yielded)

If Max is not entitled to the space despite clearly being alongside, then why not?