So whom replaces him? Sainz seems like the logical choice to me. He has proven he is a top notch driver and, although he is contracted, RBR would probably be willing to release him for a relatively novel fee given they effectively overlooked him in favour of Verstappen, not due to lack of talent but lack of seats. It would also give RBR the opportunity to promote Junior Driver and GP2 champion Pierre Gasly to Toro Rosso and partner Kvyat. A win win for everyone, especially Sainz!

Regards Pascal Werhlein, he hasn't proven himself to be anything special thus far so it would probably be too great a risk.

Fernando and Vettel both contracted for another year. Unlikely Vettel will leave Ferrari but Alonso may enticed to leave McLaren given their relative uncompetitiveness. With the Honda engine another year from full maturity even with the token system now removed he may want to seize the moment for a title challenge now that it arises!

It's going to be an interesting few weeks but my money is on Sainz and I hope he gets it too! He deserves it imo.