Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
Because people have short memories and the majority of McRae fans never saw Mikkola, Waldegaard, Blomqvist, Alen, Rohrl and Munari anyway.
In an era where mechanical sympathy as well as extreme car control was necessary I feel C McR would have had a huge DNF list against his name.
I wouldn't phrase my opinions as 'forthrightly' as JVV but people's achievements can never be viewed in isolation from their failings.
I'm sure that Ogier and Loeb would have adapted to be successful had they lived in the 2wd era but it was a far more competitive time and neither would have dominated back then.
Yes its funny, maybe because I am a bit older and it all wasn't plastered on the internet or TV when I was younger (and impressionable) but when you watch those older generation guys that you mention flinging cars around the hills and see the conditions in which they did it I have a lot of respect for them. You hear them describe cars like the Lancia Stratos and the technique required to drive that fast and it sounds very frightening!