Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Al Jr busted for DUI (again?)

"Approach racing like billiards - bash the ball too hard, get nowhere." Juan Manuel Fangio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very sad news. I hope he can rebound again.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    he's one of my all time favorites, that's for sure.
    "Approach racing like billiards - bash the ball too hard, get nowhere." Juan Manuel Fangio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh, well MarkC just put is as "IRL driver arrested again." You see Mark, it is because of low blows like this that you will never get past the internet.

PS, why didn't you phrase it as "2-time CART champ arested again"?
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    The Indy Star and AP listed him as "two time Indy 500 winner."

But I don't think any of that matters. I never cheered for Al as a driver... never really liked him. But to see the man's life continue spiraling out of control is very sad. It's his problem and only he can fix it. But I really hope he gets the help that he obviously needs.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It is sad, but don't get mad they didn't mention him as a CART Champion. You cant dislike CART when bad things happen, and claim him as your own when he does something right. Mark C just took the lead of the press release.

IT is a sad thing to hear of Al's problems with alcohol, but he has to stay clean and sober if he expects to have any sort of normal life. His racing days I think are sadly over ahead of schedule....his career would have been longer and greater IMO if it wasn't for the demons that he obviously is fighting.

I never was a huge fan, but he was nice to me whenever I had a chance to talk to him at Toronto, including one time just coming out of the bathroom!!! Some fans ambushed him for autographs about 2 second as he came out of the men's room in the Automotive building at the Ex where the race is. He was still doing up his nomex getting ready to go out for a practice. I joked with him as he walked away smiling a guy cant even get a break in the men's room, and he told me he was just glad they didn't ambush him in there, but it had happened before.

He is a good guy on a lot of levels, but booze can destroy one's priorities, and I hope he finds a way to recover. He comes from very good stock...Al Sr. is one of the classiest men anywhere.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Journo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    It is sad, but don't get mad they didn't mention him as a CART Champion. You cant dislike CART when bad things happen, and claim him as your own when he does something right. Mark C just took the lead of the press release.

I am not upset that he wasn't mentioned as a cart champion, it is that this "journalist" is going out of his way to slander the IRL. Why dosen't he just say "Unser Jr. arrested again"? That explains the story a lot more than "Another IRL driver arrested." I didn't see him reporting PT accident as "Drunk CCWS drived injured in motor vehicle crash." MarkC is a glorified blogger who tries to pass himself of as a journo...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will he race?

I know this is not the correct forum, but since the subject of his DUI was raised, I wanted to ask if anyone has heard if he will still race in the historic grand prix in Las Vegas in April?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastandwynn
    I am not upset that he wasn't mentioned as a cart champion, it is that this "journalist" is going out of his way to slander the IRL. Why dosen't he just say "Unser Jr. arrested again"? That explains the story a lot more than "Another IRL driver arrested." I didn't see him reporting PT accident as "Drunk CCWS drived injured in motor vehicle crash." MarkC is a glorified blogger who tries to pass himself of as a journo...
    CNN listed him as a NASCAR driver in their crawl...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grungex
    CNN listed him as a NASCAR driver in their crawl...

Hell, you could say that he is a FIA, IMSA, USAC, CART, IndyCar, NASCAR, IROC, SCCA, WOO, A1GP & IRL driver. These are all facts, but to quote Don Quixote, "Facts are the enemy of the truth."