Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

My Computer was buggered

On thursday night, just after Inspector Rex and Unit One, I went back to my computer and found that the program System Tweaks which I was running to optimise my PC was hung. So I clicked to close teh program, and Lo and Behold I found a window on my screen which said: [b] ISASS.EXE - System Error with the message: " When trying to upgrade password, this return status indicates that the current value provided for the password is incorrect".

Then my PC went into conniptions, running itself till it found the above message and rebooting itself continuously. After two hours to correct this and then finding what was wrong via my wife's laptop, I realised the only way out was to re-install Windows XP. After 3 attempts, the last including reformatting my hard drive, I was able to get the PC running and then to re-install all the stuff I needed to, not helped by the DELL drivers re-installating CD which didn't work. So I had to visit the Dell website and download these drivers via my wife's laptop, then transfer them to my PC via a memory key.

Now after 3 days of hard work, I think I have finally re-installed all the Windows security stuff, my firewall, anti-virus and a spyware program, and most importantly, re-installed Mechwarrior Merceneries and downloaded the MP3 patches which took like forever.

I just wonder if this has happened to anyone else.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Do not run anything which says it will "tweak" or "optimise" or "speed up" your system. This is tech speak for "It's going to **** your PC up good and proper"

XP will get slower as you go along. That's just the way it is.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Do not run anything which says it will "tweak" or "optimise" or "speed up" your system. This is tech speak for "It's going to **** your PC up good and proper"
    I agree.
    XP will get slower as you go along. That's just the way it is.
    I disagree. If you occasionally do a full uninstall on programmes you no longer need, AND use a utility like CCleaner to get rid of the crap and to check your registry; AND periodically have a purge of startup processes, AND once in a while defrag your harddrive, then XP will zip along just fine and dandy.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Interesting that you mention it, but the guy who helped me sort out my PC told me he uses CCleaner, and it is great.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It's frightening the first time you run CCleaner and realise just how much rubbish Windows accumulates

Personally I run it once per week- or you can set it to automatically run on startup.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    I agree.

I disagree. If you occasionally do a full uninstall on programmes you no longer need, AND use a utility like CCleaner to get rid of the crap and to check your registry; AND periodically have a purge of startup processes, AND once in a while defrag your harddrive, then XP will zip along just fine and dandy.
    True enough. I much prefer to do a reinstall as any corrupted drivers or registry files which a reinstall or registry clean won't fix get sorted automatically

I've just got my own PC and have nothing else other than my games, a DivX codec, flash, shockwave, acrobat and MSN messenger installed. I fully intend to keep it that way
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

You wouldn't believe

It's frightening the first time you run CCleaner and realise just how much rubbish Windows accumulates

Personally I run it once per week- or you can set it to automatically run on startup.
    After re-installing from my original DELL software, I had to install Service Pak2, then install all the Windows security upgrades, then convert to Internet Explorer 7 then install my printer/Scanner software. Then I installed my MechWarrior4 and the MekTek patches.

Last download was the CCleaner, which I then ran, and I just could not believe the number of temporary files this programme had to clean up. Then I ran my defrag program, and the hard disc looked like a bunch of red and orange spaghetti. That took over an hour to defrag - I went to sleep.

I only have one important question here - although I guess I know the answer
    "Does installing Limewire and downloading music have a serious impact on the likelihood of malware infecetions? I do run a firewall, Cyberscrub anti-virus, and Grisoft anti spyware.

Guys, please let me know.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Downloading MP3 files shouldn't be a risk if (a) you've got a decent anti-virus and Spyware programme, and (b) you're positive that they actually are MP3s and not executable files in disguise.

Sounds like you're being sensible enough

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Downloading MP3 files shouldn't be a risk if (a) you've got a decent anti-virus and Spyware programme, and (b) you're positive that they actually are MP3s and not executable files in disguise.

Sounds like you're being sensible enough
    After 4 days, and my PC still isn't where it used to be.

I'm through with being stupid!!

I've lost many e-mail addresses, all my search and reference links, and I don't know whether I will be able to get the lap times from F1.com.

I tell you, I was that close to dumping my PC into the bin.