Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What about group "B" ??

Hi, I'm new here and I have a lot of questions. First, I heard about a group B in rally that were like supercar. Can anyone tell me more about this? Why was it stopped? What was the drivers and cars that did the best performance back then? Will it ever have suche a group again? I'd like to know all what you guys have to say.

Thanks, Vincent
    How do I close a thread?? please help.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeve
    Why was it stopped?
    Because, despite them being spectacular, they were dangerous.
    Will it ever have suche a group again?
    No.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt
    Because, despite them being spectacular, they were dangerous.
    They were dangerous? I heard about accident yes... but isint it a bit normal after all this is a race no? Rallying is dangerous.. Was there anything espacialy dangerous with group B?
    How do I close a thread?? please help.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Speeds and the sheer performance of the cars. The cars appeared hard to handle at times.

They were banned because they were killing drivers, Toivonen's death was the straw that broke the camel's back...

All racing has risks, but you try to make the risks manageable (sp). Thus in today's WRC I think they have done that quite well compared to the focus on safety of the group B era. Not just with car's but all round safety too.
    "It's the most fun you can have with your pants on" - Possum Bourne

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    They were dangerous? I heard about accident yes... but isint it a bit normal after all this is a race no? Rallying is dangerous.. Was there anything espacialy dangerous with group B?
    Rallying isn´t that dangerous, and the development in this area since the 80ies has gone very far. High risk is a very bad promotor for the sport.
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCfan
    Speeds and the sheer performance of the cars. The cars appeared hard to handle at times.

They were banned because they were killing drivers, Toivonen's death was the straw that broke the camel's back...

All racing has risks, but you try to make the risks manageable (sp). Thus in today's WRC I think they have done that quite well compared to the focus on safety of the group B era. Not just with car's but all round safety too.

Agreed WRCfan, safety has improved by leaps and bounds since the 80s.But thinking about it now, Group B was dangerous....fun to watch and listen to ...but very dangerous nontheless.
    To finish first,first you must finish!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, I'm new here and I have a lot of questions. First, I heard about a group B in rally that were like supercar. Can anyone tell me more about this? Why was it stopped? What was the drivers and cars that did the best performance back then? Will it ever have suche a group again? I'd like to know all what you guys have to say.

Thanks, Vincent
    There are many video documentary on the subject. It was dangerous one because the FIA did not pay enough attention to the sport, the regulation were loose and the cars were developing so fast. If FIA had restrain to car performance it may be a different story. It got to almost 600bhp at one point and accel as fast as F1 on gravel. Since the car were so spectacular and the roar of the engine, it draws a lot of spectators.

Regardless of that the WRC car today even though is limited to 300hp, they accel as fast and go much faster than group B car, with better handling and the active differentials. But there is better marshalling and event organizing which is the main safety key. Otherwize the WRC cars today is really much faster than Group B imo, maybe not acceleration but overall.

Much harder to handle compared to today. Good example is Portugal 1985 and 1986, where they were driving in the middle of a river of people, and being used to it, just accelling through them.

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
    Just read a book By Kleiin

"Gruppe B - Aufstieg und Fall der Rallye-Monster "

That has a exellent story from that time

About the cars technology and POLITICS

Don't worry it's bilangual german/english
    "San Romolo opettaa"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Rallying isn´t that dangerous, and the development in this area since the 80ies has gone very far. High risk is a very bad promotor for the sport.
    On what scale re. risk and danger do you place rallying, Magnus? World-wide statistics actually tell that rallying is one of the most dangerous sports, killing a number of competitors and spectators every year. The last couple of years hasn`t been that "bad", but 2005 was a nasty year with something like 13-14 deaths. There are not many other competitive sports - if any - with such bad statistics.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    It would be interesting to look at all the statistics and see where rallying is placed.

(J4MIE)
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life