Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    I do recall Ford Australia building and rallying a RWD Focus that when it didnt break occasionally produced some respectable times.
    The weakest part of that car was the driver. Michael "It was the car or a polar bear or a leaf or the tyres or something other than my fault" Guest
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    there are horses for courses, of course.

on dry tarmac, you'd probably take RWD. everywhere else, front wheel drive.

the only valid comparisons being back-to-back, i can only tell you what i've found in Group N Lancer EVO VIs.

have seen them in front and rear drive, with the same driver, due to mechanical problems in the driveline.

nearly three seconds/km off the normal, front running pace in RWD, less than half a second/km in FWD.

so, on the loose, FWD would intrinsically seem faster.
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I'd disagree with that one Mickey. Always seems like FWD bogs down on gravel and you can use power in a RWD to get you out of trouble. On tarmac this doesn't apply and the two will be a lot closer. Of course it all comes down in the end to the driver but I'm still putting my money on RWD being better.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Which is what happened - Bugalski winning 99 Catalunya and Corsica in the Xsara Kit Car. Before that both the 306 and Xsara and challenged/got podium places in 97/98. Great sounding cars as well.
    Does anyone still use the Citroen Xsara Kit car or the 306 Maxi?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is it me, or are people using FWD for both FRONT wheel drive & FOUR wheel drive in this thread?

FWD= Front wheel drive
    4WD= Four wheel drive
    I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Langdale Forest: There are quite many 306 Maxi in France but they are not in factory F2 versions since F2 class was banned and transformed into A7VK (restrictor, no electronic traction control etc.). Maybe I'm wrong and they use different regulations in France In fact they are still on top behind modern WRC cars.

One Xsara Kit Car was on sale in France...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBrooke
    Yes, but as far as I'm aware this is mainly to equalise the standing starts.
    Not only standing starts, but also concerns corner exit, especially those wich lead to straight. Rear is loaded on accelration, you just ease off whe you feel that your rear is tacklin you for position. ))) And this is the way you win the races - higher exit speed - higher speed on braking. Just be very gentle on throttle and you gain advantage. Well, exept if you have a talent of Michael Schuemacher, you'd gain advantage everywhere.
    Compare it to FWD, wich has an absolutely different situation - on acceleration it sucks bad - front is lifting, less traction, hard on throttle - more understeer.
    It's like two oppsites - for RWD midcorner and exit and straight acceleration is better, while FWD has staright braking, corner entry and midcorner as an advantage.
    And what is 100% true is that in the end it all depends on driver behind the wheel.. RWD is no better than FWD without the driver.. its just a drivetrain, funny shaped peices of metall

Just don't take too serious what I wrote here
    \"Dopelar Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when you approach them quickly enough.\"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Tomski. I'm not sure what gives you the impression people are saying fwd for four wheel drive.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Tomski. I'm not sure what gives you the impression people are saying fwd for four wheel drive.
    True,I am not sure that someone who doesnt understand that would write here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shurik
    Not only standing starts, but also concerns corner exit, especially those wich lead to straight. Rear is loaded on accelration, you just ease off whe you feel that your rear is tacklin you for position. ))) And this is the way you win the races - higher exit speed - higher speed on braking. Just be very gentle on throttle and you gain advantage. Well, exept if you have a talent of Michael Schuemacher, you'd gain advantage everywhere.
    Compare it to FWD, wich has an absolutely different situation - on acceleration it sucks bad - front is lifting, less traction, hard on throttle - more understeer.
    It's like two oppsites - for RWD midcorner and exit and straight acceleration is better, while FWD has staright braking, corner entry and midcorner as an advantage.
    And what is 100% true is that in the end it all depends on driver behind the wheel.. RWD is no better than FWD without the driver.. its just a drivetrain, funny shaped peices of metall

Just don't take too serious what I wrote here
    Yes, but on a rally stage where you don't know every corner coming up, I think braking, corner entry and midcorner speed are more important. Lifting to adjust your line would be more effective in a FWD, making it faster through the corners, and faster overall.

If you took a WTCC BMW, Seat and Chevrolet and dumped them on a stage from the Tour de Corse, I think the BMW would be marginally slower because of this.

Of course, it comes down to the driver and whether her style suits a FWD or a RWD better.
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!