Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    It is embarrasing for a team like Renault to hire someone for money only.
    Not doing them any harm.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    It is embarrasing for a team like Renault to hire someone for money only.
    Well, they were not the ones being embarrased winning the WDC twice in a row, on an average budget now, were they?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    May it create a speculation?

As there have been rumours about Renault's departure from F1 for some time, then maybe it hints that Nissan will replace them on the grid? After all, both car manufacturers are in alliance. Sure it looks unlikely now, but strange things have happened before.

Renault has several test drivers now (besides mentioned 3 also Parente?) - makes me wonder whether it's really worth hiring so many of them?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I reckon his experience, which equates to almost a full season of Grands Prix, could be useful for him to pass on to the younger drivers such as Grosjean and di Grassi, regardless of what people perceive as his lack of ability despite being in the worst car on the grid for the past two years.

All this without prior testing of the car.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Not doing them any harm.
    Well, the reason Renault hire Sakon was money. So yes, I think it is somewhat embarrassing for a top team to do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Well, they were not the ones being embarrased winning the WDC twice in a row, on an average budget now, were they?
    How is that RELEVANT to hiring sakon the champion?

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    May it create a speculation?

As there have been rumours about Renault's departure from F1 for some time, then maybe it hints that Nissan will replace them on the grid? After all, both car manufacturers are in alliance. Sure it looks unlikely now, but strange things have happened before.

Renault has several test drivers now (besides mentioned 3 also Parente?) - makes me wonder whether it's really worth hiring so many of them?
    Sakon was brought in for one thing only - his mum leads one of Renaults sponsors and Renault were a few millions short on money. The only testing Sakon will do will be demonstration runs and possibly straight line testing.

Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    I reckon his experience, which equates to almost a full season of Grands Prix, could be useful for him to pass on to the younger drivers such as Grosjean and di Grassi, regardless of what people perceive as his lack of ability despite being in the worst car on the grid for the past two years.

All this without prior testing of the car.
    di Grassi and Grosjean especially are much better drivers than someone like Sakon, so what you said has nothing to do with it. If they want to learn from someone, there is Alonso.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    How is that RELEVANT to hiring sakon the champion?
    Erm, errr, ahhhh, errmm, perhaps, given that Renault are keen on keeping costs down, they hire a pay tester to that end.

It requires a little thought to work that out, but not too much.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Erm, errr, ahhhh, errmm, perhaps, given that Renault are keen on keeping costs down, they hire a pay tester to that end.
    Exactly what I have been saying. It is just my opinion, that for such a top team, doing that is a bit embarrassing.

If Ferrari hired Ide, I would think that is embarrassing as well.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Well, the reason Renault hire Sakon was money. So yes, I think it is somewhat embarrassing for a top team to do such a thing.
    It gives Renault someone to offload their demo runs and straight line tests on, so their drivers can focus on more important things. It's a win-win situation. Looks like a pretty smart deal to me!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Exactly what I have been saying. It is just my opinion, that for such a top team, doing that is a bit embarrassing.

Renault is (or certainly was) partly state owned. Ferrari are still relying on the bottomless pit that is fag money, so budgets are not an issue.

And anyway, aren't Ferrari 'special' so FOM chucks money at them anyway..

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yamamoto is much better than Ide.

When I mentioned the other drivers learning from him, there are probably useful things he can pass on to them that Alonso wouldn't necessarily have the time/want to help them with.

I never said he was better than grosjean or di grassi but for all i know he could be as i've seen di grassi race about twice and tbh never heard of grosjean before this year.