Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Angry Loeb in the press

The biggest swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, has once again noticed that there is a sport called rally. As usual though, it is not the high level of competition in general, or the amazing battles between drivers like Loeb and Grönholm which is of interest. How much was written about the 2007 NZ-rally in Sweden...nothing.
    But when there is something which is potentially dangerous or if someone dies, then the press reacts. I am fed up with it(as Bosse would have nicely put it )!

The reason for Aftonbladets reaction this time is of course Loebs close encounter with an officer/marshall in MC. Do they even know who Loeb is? Do they know how brilliant he is as a driver? Do they know of all the records he has broken? Naturally not. But if Loeb had hit the guy, he would have been famous amongst "ordinary" people, and he would have had a lot of dark head-lines. People would think of rallying as something bad, and of Loeb as a moroon.

Will it ever stop? Probably not. But what can we do to promote our sport when we have main-stream media targeting at us, totally ignorant for all the fascinating aspects of rallying? When will they ever write anything good about rallying?
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I know that it won't make You happier but in our country it's totaly same. Media are interested in rallying only in case of some death, financial scandal or prime minister's crash on Prague rally show (lost wheel from a pavement but they made it a hororous crash he luckyly survived).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Same here in UK, and I'm also fed up with it. There's no excuse, wait until F1 starts. Why the bias in favour of F1 instead of WRC, what are the F1A doing? Nothing!! The press and media are zombies, all blind, stupid, etc....I could go on but I won't!!!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    Not any different in Croatia.
    There was a CIRCUIT event in Poreć and unfortunately a young driver crashed and a spectator died.That was a rare moment that autosport got an article(and that can be only about something like that) and they said that it is dangerous. And they reffered to the race as a RALLY.It was a Polo circuit cup RACE.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    The biggest swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, has once again noticed that there is a sport called rally. As usual though, it is not the high level of competition in general, or the amazing battles between drivers like Loeb and Grönholm which is of interest. How much was written about the 2007 NZ-rally in Sweden...nothing.
    But when there is something which is potentially dangerous or if someone dies, then the press reacts. I am fed up with it(as Bosse would have nicely put it )!

The reason for Aftonbladets reaction this time is of course Loebs close encounter with an officer/marshall in MC. Do they even know who Loeb is? Do they know how brilliant he is as a driver? Do they know of all the records he has broken? Naturally not. But if Loeb had hit the guy, he would have been famous amongst "ordinary" people, and he would have had a lot of dark head-lines. People would think of rallying as something bad, and of Loeb as a moroon.

Will it ever stop? Probably not. But what can we do to promote our sport when we have main-stream media targeting at us, totally ignorant for all the fascinating aspects of rallying? When will they ever write anything good about rallying?
    I now and then also read Aftonbladet and Expressen on internet, its really sad that they write nothing about rally, maybe things change if Andersson can get a permanent seat and start doing result.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    same as Greece

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    maybe things change if Andersson can get a permanent seat and start doing result.
    It says on Aftonbladet that he has a contract for the whole year with Suzuki.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo
    It says on Aftonbladet that he has a contract for the whole year with Suzuki.
    Yes you are right, thats good news.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm starting feel very priviledged as a Finn because here the media follows WRC. Of course it's NOTHING compared to F1 when it starts but still, reasonably good coverage.

it doesn't make me happy though as I read your comments from different countries. The situation is worse than I thought. Something has to be done to lift the profile of our favourite sport since the cold fact is that only the rich and beautifulls survive in this world
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    I'm starting feel very priviledged as a Finn because here the media follows WRC. Of course it's NOTHING compared to F1 when it starts but still, reasonably good coverage.

it doesn't make me happy though as I read your comments from different countries. The situation is worse than I thought. Something has to be done to lift the profile of our favourite sport since the cold fact is that only the rich and beautifulls survive in this world
    Agree, and not only follow, but it's very good motor journalism too. Not to mention MTV3 Max, topstuff that too.
    Aja kovaa Pena.