Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    I'm all for making the sport exciting, but don't like the idea of it done artificially. But heh, it's only going to be a few Rallies.
    Maybe it's about time the Sunday's were lengthened, I mean yesterday was a late start, why didn't they start earlier, and have more final day mileage.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It remains too see, as mentioned before, sunday is short in many rallies. I don't see it as a hugely negative thing before the consequences is proven. The real advantage of being later on the road first kicks in on number 4-6 or so, don't think it's a huge advantage to be second or third on the road compared to first.

I'm for the idea of closer rallies, don't think it's "fair" that the leader should have the best conditions either. After all, the best drivers always has the best machinery, the best weather crews, etc.

Just look on alpine skiing, where the best after round one always has the worst condition in the second. Sometimes this creates surprises, which I find to be a good thing.

I think we will have to see what happens before we can say that it will create much more tactics and deliberate slow driving.
    ...may the force be with you...

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    I think that this rule is the best thing that has happened in last 5 years in WRC. I am doing some statistics and you can see clearly that during the Friday the time differences between first and last compeditive WR Car are quite small. On Saturday when bit slower drivers are starting first then the first 3-4 drivers are dissapearing to the distance that can be measured by light years.
    So, if anything small happens in top 3,4,5 (spit, puncture, stall etc.) then probably they wont even lose their position!

And remember, the rules are for everyone. If you are rally leader then you have to cope with this situation, if you are second then you want to be first and then you have the same rule. They just make it harder to become a winner. But if you still can win then the win means you much more.

And tactics. If you expect the other drivers drive slower, so that they wont have to start first on the road and you decide that you are going to push like hell then there might be quite a big margin and you can see one hell of a fight during the last day when people from the fift place ar trying to catch the rally leader.

And for the very last. Rally needs sponsors, sponsors need spectators, spectators need show- > Rally is for spectators not for the drivers to drive from point A to point B. Therefore I think that it is good for rallying to see more show and more fast driving and tactics during every Leg!
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It sounds good to me, this makes the front runners to push harder and lets the guys down the leader board to have more chances(of course always limited by ability and machinery). And anyways this is already an unfair sport, Citroen and Ford are way ahead of the others so why not to make it "fairer".

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    The system of the last few years had the disadvantage that when for example the 10th car through blocks the road, the rally leaders were not able to complete the stage and had to be given a notional time (usually the same time as the fastest driver until then). So with this system no more "stage wins" for drivers who didn't even compete on that stage, and the rally leaders will not have had less competitive kilometers than others.
    RallyBase Rallying Results: http://www.rallybase.nl/
    WRC results and classifications 1973-2006
    Also with ERC results 1992-2005.

Liked 527 Times in 188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    And tactics. If you expect the other drivers drive slower, so that they wont have to start first on the road and you decide that you are going to push like hell then there might be quite a big margin and you can see one hell of a fight during the last day when people from the fift place ar trying to catch the rally leader.
    This is what McRae did one year in Greece or Cyprus or something, and it worked really well

Can't believe people are complaining about this rule The next thing they should do is ban splits into the cars during stages.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Can't believe people are complaining about this rule The next thing they should do is ban splits into the cars during stages.
    And to make sure the driver cannot get information for people at the side of the road in mid-stage, all competitors will have to drive blind-folded
    RallyBase Rallying Results: http://www.rallybase.nl/
    WRC results and classifications 1973-2006
    Also with ERC results 1992-2005.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kabouter
    And to make sure the driver cannot get information for people at the side of the road in mid-stage, all competitors will have to drive blind-folded
    That's a cool thought. Two HANS-devices, one back to your neck like now and one in front of driver's face. Safety becomes first
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halvis
    It remains too see, as mentioned before, sunday is short in many rallies. I don't see it as a hugely negative thing before the consequences is proven. The real advantage of being later on the road first kicks in on number 4-6 or so, don't think it's a huge advantage to be second or third on the road compared to first.

Also, lets not forget that most rallies have 2-nd runs of the stages.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    That's a cool thought. Two HANS-devices, one back to your neck like now and one in front of driver's face. Safety becomes first
    Or they can use some kind of goggles that show the road only