Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    Well, no problem this year since Australia ain't on the calender. I seem to remember this only happened in the 2000 edition, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    OK, but the same problem is present in most of gravel rallies.

Altough I am extremely suspicious to this rule it might be interesting to see what kind of consequenses it brings with it. Two days more or less cruising and then six drivers inside of minute and then at last "flat-out sunday"?
    I am a big fan of Andy Aigner

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Can splits be part of the decision in not running reserve order. The leader now won't be able to observe splits from they rivals. ?

Just a longshot.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    Can splits be part of the decision in not running reserve order. The leader now won't be able to observe splits from they rivals. ?

Just a longshot.
    They tell him with radio contact what happened there behind him.
    I think that them did that already.
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    They tell him with radio contact what happened there behind him.
    I think that them did that already.
    There is nothing the leader can do at the final sections of each SS? He must push to the end, or risk loosing time. Atko almost got caught because of this yesterday, but he got lucky, very lucky.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    This rule just baffles me. Why punish the Championship leader by running first on the road? It creates a level playing field when there shouldn't be. The Championship leader should be able to choose were he starts. But that's life - that's what happened during the 'Glory Years' of the WRC so we shouldn't really complain, I suppose.
    Creates a level playing field when there shouldn't be? Why should things ever be unfair for most of the drivers before they even start?

And why is it fair for the championship leader to choose where he starts? If he's late for the meeting when he chooses his position would he be placed first on the road anyway?

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    The Championship leader running first on the road is almost 'Handicapped', it's a bit like Success ballast. Penalize the leader for winning.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    But that's only the case for dry gravel rallies.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    People have mentioned Australia 2000, but that was what happened in 1997/98. On the last day in 1997 Makinen came from 5/6 to close to within 7 secs of McRae. Then in 1998 McRae came from 50 odd seconds back to lead with 2 stages to go, then blown turbo. So in 2000 people had got wise to this.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Creates a level playing field when there shouldn't be? Why should things ever be unfair for most of the drivers before they even start?
    I agree and this was also one resson why they changed back to no reverse starting order.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    People have mentioned Australia 2000, but that was what happened in 1997/98. On the last day in 1997 Makinen came from 5/6 to close to within 7 secs of McRae. Then in 1998 McRae came from 50 odd seconds back to lead with 2 stages to go, then blown turbo. So in 2000 people had got wise to this.
    But isn't that a good thing? It would make Sunday more interesting. Right now, you have to admit, Sunday tends to be boring.

And it wouldn't work on every rally. Sundays tend to be the shortest leg, usually ranging from about 50 - 100 km. For example, despite having six stages this year on the Sunday in Italy, they only covered about 50 km, I think. Mexico and Argentina usually have short Sundays, as well. Perhaps in these cases drivers would have to try a different strategy.