Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Assume

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pino
    I would add Kubica to that list, and if Button is there... why not Jarno ? :
    If those two are on the list I should be on it as well.

I think the problem is that even if there were identical cars with identical preparation by the teams, it would still be influenced by driver style and how that particular setup suits their style. Alonso drove the old Renault with the front end to loose it looked nearly impossible to drive, yet even with that understeer he put in blazing laps.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Who would win the championship then? Well, I wouldn't rule out Mr. Consistency and Flawless himself - Nick Heidfeld!
    Aah, ya beat me to it!

Also, I just wonder how much certain drivers have developed/got a driving style that is very aero-dependent...

In these days where you had traction control and lots of grip from the aero keeping the car in a line was pretty important. (Come on, the fact that cross winds and turning the wheels affect the aero so much just shows how aero-critical the current cars are!)
    Look at the 70's and the smooth drivers weren't always benefitted, whereas in the ground-effect era they were more.

So perhaps drivers like Button would suffer more as their driving styles work well in aero-dependant cars..
    So I think the specs of this car would have a big effect on who would win. If it was low downforce then guys like Kimi and Alonso, Massa etc would be to the front, however if they had high aero grip, I would expect Trulli, Coulthard, Button to be to the front..

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That's a pretty good shout.

It's interesting how Force India chose Fisichella because of his 'smooth style'. Do you think this is possibly why?

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Raikkonen
    Hamilton
    Alonso
    Webber
    Massa
    Heidfeld
    Rosberg
    Button
    Kubica

For the top guys there'd be nothing in it. I put Alonso as #3 because as talented as he is, Hamilton seemed to get to him last year. Eg races like Canada.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    It would be kinda interesting if they did this for one season, and then went back to normal rules....

Maybe only giving the teams their car for the season with one or 2 days testing before race one. Then we'd see a jumbled up first few races for sure!
    To join, copy and paste this into your signature.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    people are seriously under estimating robert kubica. and it's really annoying. i think he just doesn't get noticed because he doesn't have flashy looks and that "movie star" persona. the guy is seiorusly quick, been incredibly UNLUCKY. really i think he will beat heidfeld with some decent luck this year. nothing against heidfeld he is fantastic. but the amount of times kubica was in a good position then was let down by a mechanical failure, 4th at melbourne ahead of heidfeld, china in the lead obviously. can easily match heidfeld for speed, usually the times heidfeld would be ahead in qualifying he was lighter. heidfeld technically took out kubica twice ending his race. so i think it's really stupid to not include this guy, absolutely super quick, can pass, and race, has aggression, but oh sorry, doesn't look like a movie star with awesome looks. i think it is the same in the media, he isn't recognised because of this. people it is only his 2nd full year in f1 this year, he was basically a rookie last year.
    Michael Schumacher - the most succesful driver in formula 1 history - ROBERT KUBICA!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Kubica is very good, but maybe not WDC material at the moment. However he would be the next name on my list lol.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitey
    people are seriously under estimating robert kubica. and it's really annoying. i think he just doesn't get noticed because he doesn't have flashy looks and that "movie star" persona. the guy is seiorusly quick, been incredibly UNLUCKY. really i think he will beat heidfeld with some decent luck this year. nothing against heidfeld he is fantastic. but the amount of times kubica was in a good position then was let down by a mechanical failure, 4th at melbourne ahead of heidfeld, china in the lead obviously. can easily match heidfeld for speed, usually the times heidfeld would be ahead in qualifying he was lighter. heidfeld technically took out kubica twice ending his race. so i think it's really stupid to not include this guy, absolutely super quick, can pass, and race, has aggression, but oh sorry, doesn't look like a movie star with awesome looks. i think it is the same in the media, he isn't recognised because of this. people it is only his 2nd full year in f1 this year, he was basically a rookie last year.
    But then again there's been a lot of times where he hasn't been quicker than Heidfeld in races, not to mention qualifying where he was only sometimes higher up the grid than Heidfeld, who is not a great qualifier himself.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    That's a fantastic post and a fantastic concept.

I know everyone says that this would be 'against the principle of F1', but a 'stock-car' format would create some fantastic racing, probably more teams, and thus more drivers given a chance at the top level.

The teams could still have their own identity, and pride themselves on different aspects of their organisation, such as the construction of the car, the engine, or their pit-work.

This idea should be considered by the fIA and everyone who has an interest in motor racing.

Imagine, week-in, week-out, a straight fight between Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, etc in almost identical machinery. Who knows, they might not even be at the front, in which case it makes it more interesting
    I think they call this kind of racing A1 or something
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    I think they call this kind of racing A1 or something
    My thoughts, exactly! But it would be nice if all the drivers drove in the A1 series in the off season - just like they used to do in the Tasman series in the '60s.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty