Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Assume

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

Let's Assume

All teams were given identical cars
    you cannot add any aero you must just use what you have

Which current drivers do you think would be capable of winning the WDC?
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    1) Alonso
    2) Raikkonen
    3) Button
    4) Hamilton
    5) Webber
    6) Massa
    7) Kovalienen
    8) Rosberg

That's it!
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    1) Alonso
    2) Raikkonen
    3) Button
    4) Hamilton
    5) Webber
    6) Massa
    7) Kovalienen
    8) Rosberg

That's it!
    I would add Kubica to that list, and if Button is there... why not Jarno ? :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    1) Raikkonen
    2) Alonso
    3) Hamilton
    4) Heidfeld
    5) Fisichella
    6) Button
    7) Kovalainen
    8) Massa
    9) Rosberg
    10) Coulthard

Quote Originally Posted by pino
    why not Jarno ? :
    Jarno is too slow
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Jarno's cool. How very dare you!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I think the folks here have taken a simplistic approach, I think the results might be surprising as with such concept of a racing series several aspect come into play.

We may have equal cars, but engineers and mechanics would be different in different teams. In lower series the drivers also "theoretically" have an equal car, but are they equal? Some (better financed) teams have better workforce and whoever wants to win the title even in lower series, needs to be in a strong team.

But even if we conjecture such utopical variant of racing, where "everything is equal except the drivers", then there are still some important aspects:

In 0,2 seconds there might be even up to 10 drivers, while in "normal F1" only the drivers in the best car are in such tiny distance of time. The drivers would be very tightly packed and one error would be costly. For example at Istanbul qualifying last year Räikkönen made a braking error, which cost approximately 0,2 seconds. In F1 conditions that didn't cost him more than one position, in so-called "equal cars" that may cost even about 10 positions and - bye-bye race win.

Also, the process of the race would look quite different, what we have been used to seeing and it might demand such values that current F1 don't demand so much and as a result new drivers might shine. Racing would provide a lot more wheel-to-wheel racing rather than trundling alone from start to finish. In equal cars also strategy becomes vital as with pitstops you may not win or lose just 1 position, but why not for example five.

Quote Originally Posted by pino
    I would add Kubica to that list, and if Button is there... why not Jarno ? :

Qualifying would be vital as in equal cars passing in the race would be harder (most of the passes are the result of the fact that the package behind has at least some kind of superiority over the car in front, which enables a pass). For example if Trulli qualifies on pole position (which would be no surprise! : ), then I highly doubt he would drop to last position in the race - simply too many cars between him and last pos. He would create a whole new situation (for eveyone!) and with good blocking might achieve decent results even by the end of the race (if the strategy works and he doesn't lose in the pits).

So all in all consistency and error-free performance throughout the season would be vital as it's hard to see anyone really blowing away the whole field by winning consistently. If someone achieves more than 3 wins in a season, then that would be a truly remarkable achievement.

Who would win the championship then? Well, I wouldn't rule out Mr. Consistency and Flawless himself - Nick Heidfeld!

Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    Jarno's cool. How very dare you!
    If coolness was a factor how come Schumacher one so many WDC's?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That's a fantastic post and a fantastic concept.

I know everyone says that this would be 'against the principle of F1', but a 'stock-car' format would create some fantastic racing, probably more teams, and thus more drivers given a chance at the top level.

The teams could still have their own identity, and pride themselves on different aspects of their organisation, such as the construction of the car, the engine, or their pit-work.

This idea should be considered by the fIA and everyone who has an interest in motor racing.

Imagine, week-in, week-out, a straight fight between Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, etc in almost identical machinery. Who knows, they might not even be at the front, in which case it makes it more interesting

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ps i agree with the Heidfeld part