Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for privateers affected by Dakar cancellation

I am a journalist working a story concerning the more human side of the Dakar Rally cancellation.

The big players tell us that the cancellation is unfortunate, but we all know the big name drivers and works teams will be back next year. However, I am interested in telling the story the headlines don’t tell, that of the plight suffered by the privateers, many of whom may have risked financial ruin to get themselves to the start line, only for their dream to be destroyed hours before the start of the rally.

Are you a privateer affected by the cancellation of the Dakar Rally? Perhaps you work with a privateer in a back up capacity, or maybe you sponsor a privateer. If so, I’d be interested in interviewing you for the piece. What has been the human cost to you of the Dakar cancellation?

I’m interested in hearing as many angles on this as possible, so if you feel you’ve got something to say, please feel free to drop me a pm.

Many thanks and here’s looking forward to a successful Dakar in 2009.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is one privateer with a very special story. Dror Cohen, a 39 year old racer from Israel who put about a half a million dollars into his effort, which he probably will not recover from his sponsors. Dror has been paralyzed from the waist down for the last 15 years, after a tragic road accident at the age of 24. he was then a promising F16 fighter jocky and flight instructor with the IAF. you can read his story here... the short of it is this guy has been going at one sport after another, winning, then moving to the next challenge. His biggest achievment was an olympic gold medal for sailing in Athens 2004.

Anyways, he was allways involved with off-road driving and many years ago set his eyes on Dakar. He tried it in 2002 in a Mitsubishi T2 which failed him, DNF.
    You should try and email him I bet he'll answer gladly.
    באמת הלכת לגוגל לתרגם את זה? פראייר

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    omg that is indeed a terrible situation to be in. all the preparation, the little details, the mental anguish...simply a horrid state of affairs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not a privateer but I thought this shows the magnitude of losses suffered:
    Quote Originally Posted by &quot
    Dakar race cancellation, lost money, angers Robby Gordon: #7-Robby Gordon arrived for testing at Daytona International Speedway on Monday with a pack on his back and a chip on his shoulder. Gordon had planned to skip the three-day test for his Sprint Cup team to drive in the Dakar Rally in North Africa. Those plans changed on Friday when organizers canceled the event because of the Dec. 24 slayings of French tourists in Mauritania -- where eight of the 15 stages were scheduled to be held and -- and direct threats of terrorism from al-Quida-linked militants. Gordon said he was upset because the Amaury Sports Organization that puts on the rally had no backup plan for a race that he estimated cost Robby Gordon Motorsports out of California $4.5 million to prepare two cars to send overseas with full crews. "They did not have a plan," Gordon said as he shook his head in disbelief. "That's the part I'm mad about. Cancel the race for safety. I'm with you. Good. But there was no reason to cancel the whole entire event with 16 days or racing. We could have run Martinsville or a couple of specials. Us racers, we like to race. Just get creative. They're right there in Portugal [where] they have a Formula One track down the street. Get creative. Do something to keep the show in place. I can't believe they gave up that easy." It was the first time the 30-year-old event, one of the biggest competitions in automobile racing, was canceled. Gordon said the ASO has promised to pay back the $360,000 entry fee, but he's not sure how he will recoup other losses for his team and sponsors. Officials with the ASO could not be reached for comment. Gordon heard of the cancellation less than an hour before the race was to begin.