Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    This is really sad I hope that Dakar survives it.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They've could have at least shorten the Rally. So much time and money has been put in it and then 1 day before the start they announce this...

What a shame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm always looking forward to seeing Dakar every year, so this is a very disappointing news to me. But given the circumstance, the organizers have made a very difficult but brave decision to cancel the event. I fully support the decision of the organizers, and hope to see a great race in 2009.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd say a free entry for the duped teams for next year?

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I'd imagine something would be worked out in regards to money, either that or there is a contract point that means the organisers can keep it. Remember that a lot of time, effort and money will have gone into this and it ain't their fault terrorists are a bit miffed.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    I'd imagine something would be worked out in regards to money, either that or there is a contract point that means the organisers can keep it. Remember that a lot of time, effort and money will have gone into this and it ain't their fault terrorists are a bit miffed.
    But remember the entry for a bike/car/truck is between 3000 to 5000 euro, but then it is 10.000 euro per person !!! So a truck with 3 people onboard is 20.000 + euro, that is quite a lot to keep if the event is cancelled...
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 576 Times in 209 Posts
    Incredible!! I was just looking forward to following it properly for the first time :\
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - and, based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal's capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.'s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world's biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.
    The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.
    Source: http://www.dakar.com

I would imagine that the organisers really had no choice after receiving threats of this nature. It's a shame that it the decision has come so close to the start of the event but I guess it's the only one to take. I'm sure the competitors feel the same way. The statement from the organisers suggests they are not pleased either, think of all the work they have gone to to organise everything!

And let's not forget the spectators, media personnel and of course the locals in the areas that the rally visits

Let's hope that things improve for 2009...

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    This is truely sad & unfortunate. I know that the ASO are acting in the best interests in the competitors. The threats were against the event itself. All competitiors & officials were at risk

Hopefully a 2009 Dakar can find a peaceful & quiet passage, whereever that may be.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Quote Originally Posted by Livewireshock
    I know that the ASO are acting in the best interests in the competitors. The threats were against the event itself. All competitiors & officials were at risk.
    I think that is the case unfortunately. No doubt that this was taken into consideration in the organisation of the event but there is a limit to the amount of preparation that can be done.

What worries me is the same thing happening in, for instance, Jordan when the WRC gets there, though I imagine the risk is not so great (hopefully).