Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New tyre rule dangerous?

With the new tyre rule being that their are no self-inflating mousses allowed, the need to stop and change tyres is going to be much greater.

With drivers and codrivers working on their cars so close to the roadside I really hope that this doesn't lead to injuries or even worse!!!
    Go Atko!!

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KF1800
    With the new tyre rule being that their are no self-inflating mousses allowed, the need to stop and change tyres is going to be much greater.

With drivers and codrivers working on their cars so close to the roadside I really hope that this doesn't lead to injuries or even worse!!!
    Welcome to rallying KF1800, this is what rallying has always been like, taking care of the car, finding the correct rithm, and if happening, changing tyres!!!!!!!!!!
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The fatality that occured previously in the WRC was the result of someone not taking care. It's part of being a spectator and competitor to take care of where you are around the 2 minute mark when the next car comes past.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina
    Welcome to rallying KF1800, this is what rallying has always been like, taking care of the car, finding the correct rithm, and if happening, changing tyres!!!!!!!!!!
    I realise that but the pressure to perform at this level is so high that it could lead to competitors changing tyres in maybe not the safest spot which in turn could result in an accident.

I was standing in the stage in Catalunya WRC 06 when the ambulance came through to pick up the young guy who got killed while changing a tyre (after an accident though). Not a nice feeling. This was a freack occurence but they can happen more than once.
    Go Atko!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope not either.
    But, remember, it is only the WRC cars that have had this mousse. PWRC, JWRC and other Group N entrants have all had to either stop and change or drive out on a flat, and most seem to manage to stop in a safe place so....
    Surely the experience and common sense of WRC drivers will prevail.
    RIP Malcolm ;( Hope you have an audi quattro up there.

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleur
    I hope not either.
    But, remember, it is only the WRC cars that have had this mousse. PWRC, JWRC and other Group N entrants have all had to either stop and change or drive out on a flat, and most seem to manage to stop in a safe place so....
    Surely the experience and common sense of WRC drivers will prevail.
    Exactly. Great post. Nothing to add to that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How about tyre exploding at a high speed? Before mousse helped to stabilize the car, right? What about now...i think thats a bigger concern, or is it?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The thing is that very rarely happens. With mousses the drivers are cutting corners more and more which is more dangerous than the extremely unlikely risk of a tyre just exploding.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    The thing is that very rarely happens. With mousses the drivers are cutting corners more and more which is more dangerous than the extremely unlikely risk of a tyre just exploding.
    Exactly, and also cutting corners have made driving for those after first 10 to become much more dangerous.
    If there is less corner cutting, then it is more safe, for everyone!!
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    People do realise that WR cars haven't always had this system (only fairly recently has an effective mousse been developed) and that before this drivers weren't all killinbg each other.

It is up to the driver to find a safe place to stop when a change is need, although I'd imagine that most will just drive on rims. As for exploding tyres, not a regular occurance but one that most top rally drivers will be skilled enough to deal with, think of how many times we see other mechanical failures such as steering and suspension.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.