Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Active Diffs - Where's the loss of performance?

Was just looking back at some of the stage times for rallies from 04-07 and there has been next to no change in the winning times over the same stages.

If active diffs were so great how come their loss has had minimal impact on speeds?

I realise there have been advances in some other areas in the meantime, but there wasn't even a huge drop off in speed in the year right after they were banned.
    wrc.smugmug.com

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I can't say as I don't know but remember how Loeb was going to fall from the top because he wasn't able to drive without active diffs
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    I'm probably wrong but wasn't it only active centre diffs that were banned? So ront/rear still are?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    I'm probably wrong but wasn't it only active centre diffs that were banned? So ront/rear still are?
    I think it's the other way around

*Edit* yup it is

http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2...ringwheel.html
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ha yeah he's really struggled since then!
    wrc.smugmug.com

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Basically the same performance is available from passive diffs. Active diffs just make testing much easier as those can be re-adjusted in a fraction of the time required by passive mechanical units. The performance gain on actual stages is dependent on how well the initial diff setup suits to the stage and road conditions plus active units can be adjusted on the fly. Theoretically, active car should have some performance advantage but praxis might prove that advantage to be very small.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I can't say as I don't know but remember how Loeb was going to fall from the top because he wasn't able to drive without active diffs
    Shhh.. (embarassed smiley) I believe I was one of those predicting that.. due to wrongly believing that the active centre diff was also included in the ban.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    If I remember right, David Lapworth said in an interview that the active diffs are about 0,1 s / km faster than mechanical diffs. Not much but 0,1 * 350 km = 35 s.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With all due respect to Lapworth's much greater knowledge of these things, the timesheets aren't backing up his claims!
    wrc.smugmug.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    he was probably right.. but improvements in tyres, handling and power would mean that disadvantage was negated.