Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    To me it's very good news

Quote Originally Posted by Wim_Impreza
    I doubt that. Now you have only two real contenders in IRC, Peugeot and Fiat. It seems that it will be a Peugeot cup in 2008...

Why René George and VW aren't doing a bigger effort to enter several Polos in IRC ???

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    I'm sure they will enter IRC if there is any customer who pays it. They are not a charity...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
    I think Rene will lot of work to do this year. They will be present in Belgian championship and in Austria with both of their cars.

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom206wrc
    Why René George and VW aren't doing a bigger effort to enter several Polos in IRC ???
    I quote René Georges: "For VW, it is more important to win in South-Africa than to fight for a 6th place in IRC rallies."

He has a lot of work with the Belgian and Austrian national championships and Alberto Hevia will again do the full Spanish championship with the Polo. In Belgium, good old Gaby Goudezeune drives the 'Rallye du Routes du Nord' and probably Ypres. He will do an other rally too, maybe 'Rallye du Hannut or 'Tour du Flandres'. As you can see, René Georges will have more work to do than you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim_Impreza
    I quote René Georges: "For VW, it is more important to win in South-Africa than to fight for a 6th place in IRC rallies."

And what would prevent VW to fight in the IRC for the victory, instead of a 6th position ??? :

Is the Polo so inferior to the 207s and Grande Puntos for VW not to talk about victory at IRC ???

I'm talking about VW, not René George here...

Official VW rally programe is Skoda. VW South Africa is only local and concern doesn't support Polos in Europe.

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    Indeed Mirek.

@ Tom: you know that the VW hasn't success in IRC 2007 with Tomasz Czopik. Freddy Loix retired in Ypres, but he set good times there. I don't think VW can win an IRC rally, even no podium place. Fiat and Peugeot have more experience and I think their cars are stronger, for sure the factory cars.

Anyway it's a pitty since Polo is my favourite S2000. But I don't think that the car itself is that bad. I think that Freddy said Punto is not better and it's engine is weaker than Polo's. The problem is the reliability and possible support and testing which never can be on factory level.

MJW

Monte Carlo 2009

Organisers are planning to make the most of not being in the WRC in 2009. In addition to the return of the concentration run, the event could be a 6 day rally, run on weekdays, with 3 service parks, and maybe even unrestricted recce. Also the route will be widespread and use a lot of teh mountain roads to try and ensure snow. I detect a real signal to the WRC that the WRC template should be challenged. I also know of a few people already planning to visit Monte 09, just because its different. Imagine if they changed the date to clash with Ireland, that would really raise the stakes!