Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico 2008

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I see they have to alternatives: spectators and responsible spectators
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sh1t im not going to be there... but Im glad the site is up and running now. For the ones going, have a great time Im sure you will, and for the ones thinking about going, just GO its a great event. I know rally mexico is not very popular with many forumers (specially europeans) and I know is not the most exiting or with the best entry list(or with the best spectators), but hey it is still in the calendar and I hope 2008 to be better than past years!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonas_mcrae
    Sh1t im not going to be there... but Im glad the site is up and running now. For the ones going, have a great time Im sure you will, and for the ones thinking about going, just GO its a great event. I know rally mexico is not very popular with many forumers (specially europeans) and I know is not the most exiting or with the best entry list(or with the best spectators), but hey it is still in the calendar and I hope 2008 to be better than past years!
    Ok, first you state that it is a great event, and then you rule out some potentially good reasons to go, and comes up with that the main reason for going is that it is in the calendar?
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Ok, first you state that it is a great event, and then you rule out some potentially good reasons to go, and comes up with that the main reason for going is that it is in the calendar?

Going to Mexico will be an experience, no matter what. Going to the Mexico WRC will be an experience that includes spectacular views and rallying with enjoyable culture and a great vacation.

I think he is saying Mexico might not be the "best" rally but it is a trip worth taking and an event worth experiencing.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L5->R5/CR

I think he is saying Mexico might not be the "best" rally but it is a trip worth taking and an event worth experiencing.
    exactly, get a few english lessons magnus!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Attending 2008 Mexico WRC?

Has anyone on the list from SoCal gone to the WRC event in Mexico? My son and I are thinking about it. I'd be interested in any info. I've never been to Mexico and I don't speak spanish. Any problems? Costs? Are there any tour groups we could hookup with? Any insights or advise would be great. Thanks.
    -MO
    Collect Motorsport videos?
    http://racing-heritage.blogspot.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didnt speak Spanish either and in that part of the country it is a problem. Most guides say it is a tourist location which is true but mainly for other Mexicans. I met one English speaking person there she taught English at the local university.

I was also with a travel group that was mainly US rallyists. It helped ALOT. I will check if hes doing the travel group again but he hasnt since 05 I think.

I may be heading down with a member of my service crew who has friends that live in the area and he is fluent in Spanish.

It can be a little harry down there much like the wild west in Leone movies, prices in 05 were very very cheap it was great but since then the dollars taken a nose dive so Id guess its still cheap just not as great a deal.

All in all looking back it was the best week of my life bar none. Highly suggest you go but have someone that knows Spanish with you so you dont get conned, the people there are very poor and would most likely see foreigners as an easy mark (they did with me =) )

If I end up going we should link up. any other questions just ask!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've gone the last three years and am going again this year. It is a little rough if you don't speak spanish or know someone there. It can be very confusing getting around. I couldn't ever find a simple guide offering directions to get to the stages. I am lucky that a buddy of mine lives there and knows the area well.

The costs are not to bad. You shouldn't plan on spending a whole lot. Depending on what you plan for expenses...it's pretty decent.

I recommend going as it won't be back for 2 years, but it will be difficult if you don't know any locals. It's easy to get lost or not be able to find your way to a stage in the mountains around Leon. If you head out at the right time you can just follow the caravan of cars into the mountains. They will most obviously be going to the stages.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm your candidate!

I live in SoCal and will be attending WRC Mexico this year. My plane tickets are going to be purchased this weekend and I'm taking off from Tijuana (much cheaper). My parent's are Mexican, so I inherited their ability to speak Spanish as well.

Mexico is great, but you need to be aware of a few things: 1) hook up with someone that speaks Spanish, 2) buy a map with all the stages included, 3) get a rental car. I cannot stress the the last point enough. Throwing around a little Chevy ****box for 3 days is something I'll never forget. The rental people tried to charge my friend for damages, but he just left on the plane.

Contact me if you're serious because I'm already putting in my days to get off of work. I hope to see everyone there!
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011