Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paul Birds two fingers

First Sykes goes and then Shakey and yet now Birdie is able to say b@@@@cks to the two of you, if you had stayed you would have been in WSB and how he must of enjoyed wishing them well in BSB for 2008. Good old silly season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, that's a needlessly inflamatory title for a topic that most likely doesn't warrant it

There are a bunch of reasons why Shakey and Grinner didn't stay with Stobart. They both had excellent seasons last year (Tom particularly since it was his debut in BSB) so it will have been a tough call to make, and Paul Bird is very fond of them both (Shakey was champion in 2003 with that team when it was known as MonsterMob Ducati, of course).

Moving from your domestic champ to international is a big call to make, because it means you're travelling all the time - when any rider retires from racing, the first thing they say is that they won't miss the travel. Shakey's dad has been very ill over the past year, and with that in mind he's less likely to want to be away from the UK all the time. Us Eurosport viewers have also heard that Tom (who is only 21 I think) got his first own house with his lady this year, so is again unlikely to want to go globe-hopping straight away. And before I get slayed for making non-racing-based reasons for staying in the UK, they can play a big part. Casey Stoner got married last winter and he's just had by far the best season of his life.

Also, three of the top four guys from BSB have vacated the series (Kiyo, Jonny Rea and Gregorio is likely to return to WSB) so it's a golden chance for guys like Shakey and Tom to get the title if they remain in Britain. Shakey's been bitten before in MotoGP riding the pig-like Aprilia. Tom needs another season in BSB to win some races and get some really solid credentials to take a top international ride if possible, even though he had an amazing first year.

There's also the machinery change with the Ducati 1200s coming in - and there are likely to be at least six of them in WSB compared with maybe three in BSB. If - as feared - they are the dominant bike then people might be scared off WSB unless they're on one. Tom also has some Suzuki history from British Supersport and with the factory coming in with a big effort and a very strong team-mate, it could be a good time to get back in with them.

All kinds of things, really - things are rarely that simple.

There is also the possibility of a little politicking as regards Stobart moving up to WSB - at present there are no Brits signed up to a championship that we are arguably the main supporter of (along with Italy). Starting 2008 without any British riders on that grid would not be in FGSport's line of thinking, so I'd expect a Brit to appear in that seat at Stobart. Maybe Tommy Hill or Stalker.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    pat, i must say that you really have nailed it.

excellent analysis.

thanks.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I wonder if Barros is a possibility

Greg Lavilla and Tommy Hill are the rumoured riders for Stobart
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-D
    pat, i must say that you really have nailed it.

excellent analysis.

thanks.

I could not disagree more!

Whilst I can understand the situation with Shakey I can not agree with the comments regarding Tom.

Just bought a house, girlfriend, a lot of travelling, perhaps gifted a championship as there is not as much depth...... If the opportunity was there Tom should take it.

This is hypothetical as neither of these riders may have even been in PB's WSBK plans.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS
    I wonder if Barros is a possibility

Greg Lavilla and Tommy Hill are the rumoured riders for Stobart
    more than likely be lavilla and hill, tommi is been a good driver with a not so good bike (virgin yamaha in bsb) for a few years, I like to see him on a top bike.
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's an interview on http://www.bikesportnews.com where Birdy pretty much admits he's sticking two fingers up to Grinner and Shakey. One quote is:

Bird said: “I was absolutely flabbergasted at the way they treated the team. All of the mechanics and crew had worked so hard to give them results this year and they just turned their backs on us.

“They don’t care. It’s just another pay cheque to them. This is how they repaid us for all of our hard work.

“I just had to have the last laugh. I bet both of them are kicking themselves now. We’re going to World Superbikes and they’re not.”

Which pretty much says it all. It'll be fantastic to have them in WSBK, they did really well in BSB. Stalker won't be with them, he's riding a Kwaka in WSS, but there are a lot of rumours about Lavilla signing for them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why not give Chaz Davies a run?
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
    Good to see Stobart getting more Exposure on the World Scene, looks like it means less rallying for Paul Bird He's always a quick driver, but hopefully he'll make a couple of appearances.
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that's a great article. nice to see such unexpurgated bile in print.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.