Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a codriver I have this bit of advice.

DONT TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!

My first event was a pretty big national event over here. It was my drivers first event as well. Im not here to bash the person but to tell you we had set out before hand, if mistakes were made ON EITHER END "dont sweat it!"

Needless to say the mistakes my driver made I took in stride and mattered not to me. The mistakes I made were made clear and yelling was common. (not fun to be in an hour long transit with no conversating) Treating your codriver like trash will only get you a bad rep for other codrivers. The same works in reverse I try to push drivers when I feel they could push harder and slow them down when they start to get erratic, but Ive never gotten out of hand.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth but since then Ive codriven for much more experienced(calm and fast) drivers and had fun without the prima donna dramatics from a relative unknown.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pino
    I am happy for you mate If I were living in UK I would come to this event and give you my support...Good Luck !
    Thanks for the moral support Pino.

Quote Originally Posted by shurik
    BTW, the rally you goin to take part, is it sort of blind rally or is it ordinary rally only you just being provided with standard pacenotes? Do you still allowed to do recce? Just curious, because I never heard of similar events here in Russia
    Yes, I suppose it is a blind event unless you've done it before... I thought all national events worldwide used this format?
    Stage mile hire from the forrestry commision is so high here that recce ommision I suppose, is a way to reduce the event costs to keep the sport alive.
    Im sure I heard recently of someone in Ireland severly punished for illegal recceing with event expulsion and fines iirc..
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by GruppoB
    As a codriver I have this bit of advice.

DONT TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!

My first event was a pretty big national event over here. It was my drivers first event as well. Im not here to bash the person but to tell you we had set out before hand, if mistakes were made ON EITHER END "dont sweat it!"

Needless to say the mistakes my driver made I took in stride and mattered not to me. The mistakes I made were made clear and yelling was common. (not fun to be in an hour long transit with no conversating) Treating your codriver like trash will only get you a bad rep for other codrivers. The same works in reverse I try to push drivers when I feel they could push harder and slow them down when they start to get erratic, but Ive never gotten out of hand.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth but since then Ive codriven for much more experienced(calm and fast) drivers and had fun without the prima donna dramatics from a relative unknown.

Thanks GruppoB, my Co-driver Alan is 15 years my senior, has quite a lot of experience and has a good track record. He has done 8 events so far this year, is a very laid back person, very calm, which hopefully will rub-off onto me. Also.. Im not one to lose the plot with people easily unless severely provoked.
    He's been told Im pretty wild and a little bit nuts by someone who hasn't even sat in the car with me ?!?!? .
    From what other drivers have said about him I trust him and I've instructed him to reign me in..or speed me up as he feels neccesary. The forthcoming pre-event test will also allow us to familiarise ourselves with each other.

Thanks bud..

Update..

Didnt quite go as planned...

I was going reasonably well for my 1st event.. despite 1 or 2 moments I'd been having a great time until....

I rolled it 2-3 times (I think) on Stage 5 at the same corner which Im led to believe claimed 20 other victims... PLUS the course car which also rolled!!!.... basically a 3rd of the remaining cars still running at that stage in the rally hit that rock and game over. The notes said rock on outside which was correct but didnt say "No cut" OR "rock on inside" which is what I hit also following the line of the other 20 victims. No-one... Organisers pre-start nor drivers or spectators before the corner warned us despite the Stage being closed for half an hour while they cleared the wreckage of the 1st ten cars.

We are both fine. The car needs re-shelled but it was due to be re-shelled in the spring anyhow so not as major a blow as it could have been.

Its part of rallying and I dont want to play the blame game as ultimately its my responsibility to keep it shiny side up but am I being unreasonable in expecting accurate pace notes?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Accurate notes is the art of Rallying somehow, so I don't think you're being unreasonable. Then again, if no one was aware of this, it was something unavoidable I guess.

I'm glad you enjoyed it for how long it lasted. Crashes are a part of Rallying and something to learn from. Good luck for rebuilding the car and thanks for sharing your experiences

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Well at least you're OK. Cars can be reshelled and so on. People can't be

That's really bad on part of the marshals and spectators not to tell you to slow down or to move the rock from the inside. It's almost as if they were happy to see people rolling
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Well at least you're OK. Cars can be reshelled and so on. People can't be

That's really bad on part of the marshals and spectators not to tell you to slow down or to move the rock from the inside. It's almost as if they were happy to see people rolling
    The rock was quite a big one and was stuck firmly in the ground but yeah.. I did feel a bit p1ssed towards the spectators.. There was probably about 30-40 people congregated just on this one series of twisties.. obviously happy to be entertained by watching all 20 of us crash. They dont seem to care about people potentially hurting themselves..

The roll was a forward diagonal then 2.5 times rolled its side.. ending up on its roof, the rear left wheel flew off (halfshaft snapped) and front left strut sits at a 45% angle. Fortunately the car had a weld-in cage.. if it had only had a bolt in cage Im not so sure we'd both have walked away injury free. Maybe its time for some of the spectators to have a good look at themselves and realise that they are risking the lives of people by their actions or lack off.. on occasions like this.

I wonder if there will be anything in MN about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    Accurate notes is the art of Rallying somehow, so I don't think you're being unreasonable. Then again, if no one was aware of this, it was something unavoidable I guess.
    Im not so sure it was unavoidable.. we heard the stage was cancelled and we saw an ambulance go in... then they re-oppened it. A notes amendment at very least would have been the responsible thing to do..

Anyway.. no point in crying about it.. Whats done is done, at least we are both ok.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    The rock was quite a big one and was stuck firmly in the ground but yeah.. I did feel a bit p1ssed towards the spectators.. There was probably about 30-40 people congregated just on this one series of twisties.. obviously happy to be entertained by watching all 20 of us crash. They dont seem to care about people potentially hurting themselves..

The roll was a forward diagonal then 2.5 times rolled its side.. ending up on its roof, the rear left wheel flew off (halfshaft snapped) and front left strut sits at a 45% angle. Fortunately the car had a weld-in cage.. if it had only had a bolt in cage Im not so sure we'd both have walked away injury free. Maybe its time for some of the spectators to have a good look at themselves and realise that they are risking the lives of people by their actions or lack off.. on occasions like this.

I wonder if there will be anything in MN about it.
    Shocking.

I consider it part of my duty as a (responsible) speccie to alert oncoming cars to potential danger or minimise the danger to them. That's really really bad.....
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    On the other hand: I think it is a little bit difficult to ask from the publich to generally(NB) warn the drivers. If this where to be the accepted way, many would missuse it in order to disturb the rythm for some. For myself, as a driver, I would also wonder: where is the problem. it is difficult to wave: "Donīt cut". I think this question only comes down to one serious question: if the notes are provided from the organiser, they must be of very high quality.
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!