Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Foyt IV to Vision Racing

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.d...RTS01/701030485

By Curt Cavin
    [email:1dz8zzaw]curt.cavin@indystar.com[/email:1dz8zzaw]

Tony George's Indy-car team is expanding with one of the sport's more familiar names.

George will hire A.J. Foyt IV to drive his team's third car during the upcoming Indy Racing League season. Foyt, the grandson of the legendary driver, said today he expects to sign the contract later this week and will move to Indianapolis to be near the Indy-based team.
    Vision Racing, which George founded in 2005, also will employ Ed Carpenter and Tomas Scheckter this season, which begins March 24 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
    "I've kind of been hounding him (about a ride) for quite a while," said Foyt of George. "At this point, I don't even know who the sponsor is or what the car number is."
    Also today, Andretti Green Racing confirmed the expected signing of veteran driver Dario Franchitti.
    Ironically, Foyt's only race in 2006 was in a relief role of Franchitti at AGR. Franchitti missed the season-ending race at Chicagoland Speedway after suffering a concussion in a vintage car accident in England. Foyt finished 14th.
    Foyt has started 48 races in his Indy-car career, with three top-10 finishes in cars owned by A.J. Foyt Racing, a team he left last year to pursue a career in NASCAR. Franchitti will be returning for his 10th season.
    Foyt was to meet with his new teammates later today in Daytona Beach, Fla., where he will co-drive a Daytona Prototype with Scheckter, Carpenter and George in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona later this month.
    Foyt Racing will employ IRL veteran Darren Manning as its driver this season.
    "Call Tony George, sell him your assets and save money, if not open-wheel racing."

Robin Miller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your link didn't work for me, but this should, or people can get there from http://www.indystar.com front page.
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...85/1004/SPORTS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the moving chicaine is back! crap....
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. I wonder what that cool guy in Indy thinks of this escapade.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd rather have Townsend Bell in the third Vision car.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. I wonder what that cool guy in Indy thinks of this escapade.

Agreed, but I think its affecting all of American open wheel racing - just look at the the Champ Car grid the past few years. Most of those guys wouldn't have even sniffed a ride back in the 90s IMO (ex. Legge, Zwolsman, Heylen and Kasemets to name four hacks).
    "Call Tony George, sell him your assets and save money, if not open-wheel racing."

Robin Miller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    O&A, you have that right. The fact is, they hire a guy who his own family has written off (AJ isn't the easiest guy to work for, but you don't write off family without good reason), while people like Patrick Carpentier cant get a ride. We wont even go into other competant drivers out there who cant buy a break. Face it, with two weak series, you have a lot of hacks getting rides because the cash vacuum is so large that only ride buyers can get in.

What I don't get is why AJ? Tony could hire anyone for his cars. Ed Carpenter, that is family, so his competance will not be questioned, and he has Tomas there as his legitmate up and coming driver. What does AJ bring? Grandad wont let him run no more, he flunked NASCAR racing in about 10 minutes so who does AJ IV have pictures of? Heck, the only way you could lose more credability as a talent scout is if you hired Marty Roth to drive for you....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    What does AJ bring?
    He wants to market the names Andretti, A.J. Foyt, and Danica.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    E5, the kid is killing the good Foyt name with his inept driving. I can hear the interview he made after crashing out of the 500 last year, and he just doesn't seem to have a clue. Nothing I have seen from him changes my opinion. The kid does NOT have the Royal Jelly...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We'll see if he lasts out the year.

I wasn't paying attention but how was his performance at AGR?
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!