Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Possibly some truth in that.

I think people are just a little edgy because he's walked into F1 in the best car and is cocky as all hell about it. I wonder how many races the wonder-rookie would have won in a Spyker? Would Hamilton have finished the race at Monaco were he in anything but a McLaren? Doubtful.

That said, it's probably what the sport needs whether we like to admit it or not. I know for one that I've spent more time on and thinking about F1 this year because of Hamilton.

You can love him or hate him, but either way we all read the articles and we all have an opinion. It can only make the sport stronger.

Ultimately though, I'm completely bias being a Ferrari fan.
    Well, Im bloody biased also, being a Bomber fan, but I did like to watch Benny play. So I guess while I follow Super Aguri and I like their drivers, I have to admit that Maybe they might not have done as well as Lewis if they had been gifted a drive with McLaren this year; or maybe ant might have. I guess we'll never know.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Possibly some truth in that.

I think people are just a little edgy because he's walked into F1 in the best car and is cocky as all hell about it. I wonder how many races the wonder-rookie would have won in a Spyker? Would Hamilton have finished the race at Monaco were he in anything but a McLaren? Doubtful.

That said, it's probably what the sport needs whether we like to admit it or not. I know for one that I've spent more time on and thinking about F1 this year because of Hamilton.

You can love him or hate him, but either way we all read the articles and we all have an opinion. It can only make the sport stronger.

Ultimately though, I'm completely bias being a Ferrari fan.
    Wow, we seem to be clones! I am a Ferrari fan, too, but Lewis has made the sport more interesting this year. There will be years when he's not in a top car and we will see how he handles that. It is interesting watching a career grow from the beginning. Kimi and Alonso started in lesser teams so most of us didn't pay too much attention to them at first. Lewis has been on everyone's radar since the first race.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    Kimi and Alonso started in lesser teams so most of us didn't pay too much attention to them at first. Lewis has been on everyone's radar since the first race.
    I think there was a spotlight on both Raikkonen and Alonso from the moment they entered F1.

Alonso was highly rated by many and justifiably so, and his career was being carefully managed by Flavio - Minardi, test seat, competitive drive - It was mapped out for him in a similar way as the management of Hamilton's career although not over such a long period of time.

As for Kimi, the FIA put him on probabtion because he was thought to be too inexperienced to race in F1! He too was seen as a remarkable talent and has more than justified the hype.

Hamilton will continue to do the same.

There are 'great' and 'good' drivers in F1. We are lucky to have these three 'greats' in the current crop.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lewis is definately "special". One of the curious aspects for me, is that after just one season he was able to collect hatred and bad feelings from such a lot of people in a way that reminded me very much of Michael Schumacher.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    It was mapped out for him in a similar way as the management of Hamilton's career although not over such a long period of time.
    You mean he skipped the leasson you learn by driving an uncompetitive car, and that, maybe, could have helped him to push the right button at the right time or keep an uncontrollable car on track when he needed???
    ŃBA I love this game! :up:

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samuratt
    You mean he skipped the leasson you learn by driving an uncompetitive car, and that, maybe, could have helped him to push the right button at the right time or keep an uncontrollable car on track when he needed???
    No.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't have any doubt about Lewis' talent, It maybe, to tell honestly, on top of any current drivers.

Under no circumstance we have to be realistic, the unharmonized relationship among the driver and the team has cost them ironically falling down after such long period of leading.

If they tried playing the game with a bit of smartness, and put aside the personal show-off they could have win the title one and two perfectly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm getting a hard time with this one, as with every human being you can like some things about his persona and some others not, but, if you are a real F1 fan, you can't deny that the kid has some serious skills and for a 22 year old rookie has an outstanding mental strenght, he has taken the McLaren way beyond everybody's expectations (leaving aside the fact that the Macca was a race-winning car and the personal link with his boss).

On the other side, he may appear a little cocky sometimes, but winners aren't very humble these days, in an ego-jungle as F1 is, you must be really secure about yourself if you don't want to be eaten alive by the media, sponsors or other drivers, specially at very young age, and sometimes he may sound naive and even over the top, with things like "I was born to be champion".. but he's ok, he still has a lot to learn, and with a new trend of bringing drivers at earlier ages these days, this has become a teen drama queen sport.

cheers.
    Eau Rouge@Spa-Francorchamps

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarF1
    I'm getting a hard time with this one, as with every human being you can like some things about his persona and some others not, but, if you are a real F1 fan, you can't deny that the kid has some serious skills and for a 22 year old rookie has an outstanding mental strenght, he has taken the McLaren way beyond everybody's expectations (leaving aside the fact that the Macca was a race-winning car and the personal link with his boss).

On the other side, he may appear a little cocky sometimes, but winners aren't very humble these days, in an ego-jungle as F1 is, you must be really secure about yourself if you don't want to be eaten alive by the media, sponsors or other drivers, specially at very young age, and sometimes he may sound naive and even over the top, with things like "I was born to be champion".. but he's ok, he still has a lot to learn, and with a new trend of bringing drivers at earlier ages these days, this has become a teen drama queen sport.

cheers.
    I would like to see him demonstrate his outstanding mental strength while not hanging on to his father pinky finger!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio
    I would like to see him demonstrate his outstanding mental strength while not hanging on to his father pinky finger!
    Well that may be true, but I meant that he had the mental strenght to not feel intimidated of his 2xWDC team mate even from day 1, but that mental strenght it is easy to achieve if you have a father figure in your boss supporting you and hugging you all the time and your real dad almost placing the helmet on your head for you..I guess.
    Eau Rouge@Spa-Francorchamps