Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
Being an Australian hasn't blinded anyone's views in my opinion (as an Aussie). Sure we will support the Aussie riders more but have no problem recognising who are the top riders. For me, Rossi is still a top rider, no one can argue with that. However, whether or not he is the top rider anymore will be sorted out over the next few years. With the way Casey performed this year gives me a lot of reason to believe he could have beaten Vale on equal machinery. Remember that Casey has dominated with more than twice the race wins of anyone else this year, he hasn't just squeaked in because a few results went his way. Then there are the likes of Pedrosa, Dovizioso and Lorenzo coming through as well. Just because Rossi has been the best in the past doesn't mean he will always be.

Also, what really annoys me is the 'Rossi is the greatest ever rider' tag. According to who? Perhaps someone who has been following motorcycle Grand Prix racing since 1949 could answer but even then I don't think so. Rossi is the greatest of his era but I can't see how it can be said he is better than Agostini, Hailwood, Lawson or even Doohan. At the end of the day, all are legends.

Finally, for what it's worth, I do still consider Rossi to be the competitions yardstick but think the chasing pack are closing fast. And I believe this despite being very much not a fan of his anymore.
Well said ninja........

I've been thinking about the Stoner vs Rossi thing all year, regarding the Rossi fanboys arguement that it's the tyres for Casey, and if Vale was on equal equipment etc etc...... and i'm of the opinion that he may very well have struggled to lift the title even if he was on a Ducati.

Is Valentino the best ever????? Can't compare era's like you said, but he's certainly the best of the last decade obviously......

The main reason for the post here is to put this thought out there:

Could the reason for all the to and fro between the Rossi fans and the rest be this:

That it's been hard for Rossi fans to accept that he has indeed been beaten the last 2 years (i was filthy in '06 when Hayden pipped him at the post) because he is the first dominant champion to continue riding, and be beaten after a prolonged period of dominance...... and not have to retire due to injury?

Doohan retired 3 races into '99, and Rainey retired obviously due to the injuries suffered at Misano in '93.......... this is the first time in 14 years that we've actually seen an all time great beaten on track, not by injuries....

thats the overriding thought i'm having..... that it's a bitter pill to swallow. I myself as a ardent Rossi fan can accept that he now is entering into the last years of his career........ i think he can grab another title, but it would need to be in '08 or '09. If he does reclaim the title next year, i think we'll see him walk away.

If he can't win another in the next 2 years....... he's done, and we may see a sad descent into the midfield for Valentino....