Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewireshock
    That is a pretty long bow being drawn there. Great Lakes Rally failed as an ARC event for a number of reasons but none of that organising staff are involved in the planning or running of Rally Australia, who are made up largely of original Perth based organisers.
    You seem to have misunderstood my comment, that is, that it does matter who the organising commitee is or their connections to past events, it will still be a brand new rally with all the possible pitfalls of running a brand new event.

I made no connection between the organisers of the GLR and next years oz rally, I was merely using it as an example of how things can go wrong.

Mike Bell (GLR) is a very good organiser with lot's of experience over the years running very good events and I'm certainly not having a go at him for the problems the GLR had. I'm just trying to show that problems can occur anywhere anytime for any reason.

Has there ever been a brand new event added to the WRC calendar without having been run before in any shape or form?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Can't say I do, though I'm sure it's 2 Rallies joined together, though maybe I'm confusing it with another Rally. Sorry, I don't know.
    The WRC Deutschland Rally is a combination of the former Deutschland Rally (vineyard etc.) and the old Hunsruck Rally (Baumholder, Panzerplatte etc.).

Deutschland Rally began in 1982, Hunsruck brings us back to the 1950's (I think). Both where great events when they were separated I remember, as there where a lot of Dutch entries in the 90's.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by cossie16
    Has there ever been a brand new event added to the WRC calendar without having been run before in any shape or form?
    I dont know if this may be true or not, but I suspect that the old Rally Aus may have been?
    I mean, there is the Rally of WA for the ARC which is held in a different area than the old Rally Aus. Were the roads used sometime before for rallying?

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    The WRC Deutschland Rally is a combination of the former Deutschland Rally (vineyard etc.) and the old Hunsruck Rally (Baumholder, Panzerplatte etc.).

Deutschland Rally began in 1982, Hunsruck brings us back to the 1950's (I think). Both where great events when they were separated I remember, as there where a lot of Dutch entries in the 90's.
    Cheers, thanks, thought the Hunsruck was one of them. I know Deutschland is an important market, but aren't there better roads to use than the ones currently used? Would've though stages up in the German mountains would look good...

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I know Deutschland is an important market, but aren't there better roads to use than the ones currently used? Would've though stages up in the German mountains would look good...
    Don't know if I'm enough aware of it, but none of the rally's in the German championship take place in such surroundings. Don't think they really have those either.

I personally like the rally. Ok, spectatorwise it's not good, but the roads are quite unique and characteristic (like the vineyards and Panzerplatte). And yes, locationwise it's probably the best spot too.

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    ...Ok, spectatorwise it's not good, but the roads are quite unique and characteristic (like the vineyards and Panzerplatte). And yes, locationwise it's probably the best spot too.
    not good spectatorwise? Good view at vineyard hills and close by the action on vineyard walls. Good organisation, arrows for spectators etc.
    I like this rally because it is nearby, the nice spectatorspots and location. A rally with character.

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Rally Australia was largely a brand new event when it debuted in 1988. It was held up as an instant success in many regards.

2008 on the Gold Coast will not be without it's share of problems but they will be trivial & minor. Nothing on the scale or fiasco as the GLR. Trust me that alot of effort is being made to cross all the T's & dotting all the I's.

Kyogle Shire Council has been in touch with every council that they can that have a relationship with rallying. They want to ensure the very best success. They understand the steep learning curve ahead of them & they are not afraid of asking for & receiving advice.

Personally, I went to Rally NZ on their behalf to quiz the rally organisers there & get the view & opinions of councils, teams, spectators & the public alike. Took over 1,600 photographs of the mundane & boring eg:- portaloos, signage, fencing, catering etc.. Essentially, Kyogle SC now has a huge checklist of items to do, to improve on & what to ensure that Gary Connelly & co do right too.

Community drive is highly behind this event. So I can say that nothing will be left lacking if it can be helped.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Acording to Autosport magazine, Corsica organizers will prefer to be on IRC than on WRC if they have to be pulled out every year by the rotation system.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FocusChampion
    not good spectatorwise? Good view at vineyard hills and close by the action on vineyard walls. Good organisation, arrows for spectators etc.
    Well, let's just say from own experiences, but I think more people can agree with me that Deutschland has sometimes been ridicilous with spectator points (I mean standing 50 meters or more from the road on spots where it's not needed). Of course, the organisation was somehow destined to do this after the 2002 edition.

I see the vineyards as an exception. For sure, mainly cause of the walls. But don't get me wrong, I have great experiences of this rally too and it's one of my favorite events.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, let's just say from own experiences, but I think more people can agree with me that Deutschland has sometimes been ridicilous with spectator points (I mean standing 50 meters or more from the road on spots where it's not needed). Of course, the organisation was somehow destined to do this after the 2002 edition.

I see the vineyards as an exception. For sure, mainly cause of the walls. But don't get me wrong, I have great experiences of this rally too and it's one of my favorite events.
    Germany is superb at spectator point, you just have to make that you don't come to the Panzerplatte and Erzweiler stage, and of course to no spectator points..

But I think it's not worthy for these top drivers in the world to drive here.. Marketing says it all
    RIP Marco Simoncelli