Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts

New Year, Same old FIA...

Just had a look at one of the new proposed changes aimed at reducing costs in the WRC.

http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?stid=5825

Being penalised a second for every minute you are in service! A bizarre way of achieving lower costs that could potentially create mulitiple new problems.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    The article says "discussion points".

Isn't it better to have a chance for the competitors and manufacturers to discuss the proposals before they appear as regulations?

The concept of reducing costs to all parties is very valid in my view. What is not clear yet is a definite path to achieve the reductions.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    "The idea is for the manufacturers to develop more durable parts". How is extra development cutting costs?
    Okay, this might be just a suggestion open for discussion. But someone thought long about this subject, came up with this and then decided to suggest it so everyone can have a long meeting discussing it. I find that rather shocking.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    Just had a look at one of the new proposed changes aimed at reducing costs in the WRC.

Being penalised a second for every minute you are in service! A bizarre way of achieving lower costs that could potentially create mulitiple new problems.
    Personally I don't think it's too bad an idea
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi

I think it's a good idea. It promotes efficiency... I remember seeing cars in service at rally NZ with nothing happening to them, pretty boring watching.

And Malcolm Wilson's shorter than he looks on TV :P:

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Hmmmmm....don't think it should be applied..main reasons

1. Mechanics might "rush" things to be able to save time thus making the cars less reliable...or even dangerous

2. There will be a problem with timing.....since crews have specific schedules to follow....if the service finishes the cars would still wait in the area to start at the allocated time

3. Drivers will drive more cautiously on the stages...reducing spectacle...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    4. some might just drop out of a rally if they see that they have to spend many minutes fixing a power steering pump or something.

5. the winner of a rally will not be the fastest driver.
    I am Yahya the Infinite. <-search it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cost-cutting is a good idea, but forcing new development will make costs rise, not fall. I like the idea of controlled transmission parts, and control brakes would be good. Making parts more durable would also be good but developing these more durable parts will be expensive.
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This could lower the costs for privateers running WRC cars, but in reality the part prices will most likely go up. Cant see it leading to savings for the teams though, controlled parts could be a good idea
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    1. Mechanics might "rush" things to be able to save time thus making the cars less reliable...or even dangerous

2. There will be a problem with timing.....since crews have specific schedules to follow....if the service finishes the cars would still wait in the area to start at the allocated time

3. Drivers will drive more cautiously on the stages...reducing spectacle...
    1. Mightn't they do this anyway if there's been a big smash and they're racing to repair the car within the time limit?

2. Rallies usually have lots of regroups and things anyway, so why not another one after service? Could be a good time for the media to catch up with the drivers to hear their strategies - whether they're playing safe and spending more time in service, or risking the reliability of their car to save time.

3. They do this on day three anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSchwinn
    4. some might just drop out of a rally if they see that they have to spend many minutes fixing a power steering pump or something.

5. the winner of a rally will not be the fastest driver.
    4. I doubt it. If a driver's willing to restart a rally with half an hour of superally penalties, a few seconds penalty for changing a power steering pump shouldn't be a problem.

5. Again, superally. Last year in Monte Carlo, Loeb was fastest but Gronholm won. People didn't seem to mind too much.