Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It sure was a whitewash by Ducati. Amazing! World riders title, world constructors title, and world teams title - all from a little factory with half the budget of Honda/Yamaha (and probably a fair bit less than what Suzuki and Kawasaki spend too).

Congratulations to Stoner, a win at home beats 8 wins abroad. Icing on the cake.

Good runs from Vermeulen and West considering their set-up woes. Nice work by Barros who is always a factor at PI. Rossi - well, you expect him to finish on the podium. Speaking of, I've never seen the podium girls copping the champagne like they did at PI! Every race, they got soaked... must be the PI party atmosphere.

Stacey McMahon looked hot on the 125 podium Great race from those guys.

And Jackal you're right, I need to get there, but this year was out as my third child was due on first practice Still waiting, luckily he/she knows their dad well and didn't decide to put in an appearance during the race - there'd have been a tv in the delivery room
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats a fair enough excuse Phantom, just..

Back onto the racing..

P1 Casey Stoner Ducati 41m12.244s Winner Slick Soft Slick Hard
    P2 Loris Capirossi Ducati 41m19.007s +6.763s Slick Soft Slick Hard
    P5 Alex Barros Pramac d’Antin 41m31.719s +19.475s Slick Soft Slick Hard
    P6 Randy de Puniet Kawasaki 41m39.557s +27.313s Slick Soft Slick Hard
    P7 John Hopkins Suzuki 41m41.487s +29.243s Slick Soft Slick Hard/Medium
    P8 Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 41m47.077s +34.833s Slick Soft Slick Medium
    P10 Marco Melandri Honda Gresini 41m49.215s +36.971s Slick Soft Slick Medium
    P12 Anthony West Kawasaki 41m50.670s +38.426s Slick Soft Slick Hard (16’&#8217
    P15 Toni Elias Honda Gresini 42m22.715s +1m10.471s Slick Soft Slick Medium (16’&#8217

DNF Chaz Davies Pramac d’Antin 18m45.841s +15 laps Slick Soft Slick Medium

Westy and Elias were the only riders using the 16" tyre and were worst of the Bridgestone runners, any correlation there? Anyone have an idea why they've been making Westy do the testing for the 16" rear? Noticed him using it for most of his races in GP..
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gotta say that as I watched Rossi and Pedrosa duke it out a Phillip Island I longed for a battle akin to the days of Rossi vs Sete vs Biaggi. The current group of riders are all very competative, but a little dirty nasty outright dislike and on/off track battling was kinda fun.

And what kind of stat is there on Loris' pass of two top 5 riders in 2 turns? Not riders under mechanical distress. Just straight up spanking them in two successive turns!
    edlalu rides his cbr600f4i everyday!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_jackal
    Umm.. Actually Ant was pretty dissapointed with his weekend at P.I.. Mainly because two weeks before at Motegi he qualified sixth in the dry and had the pace to stick it out on race tyres..

It was clear he/his team couldnt make the rear tyre last for more than 5 laps on race rubber around the Island, which is killing your race virtually before it's started.. Anyway, he fought pretty well and had an entertaining stoush with CV, Edwards, Checa etc.. He'll be looking forward to Sepang im sure..

Back onto the racing, 125s were easily the pick of the bunch, fantastic, nail biting stuff .. In all honesty, the 250 and MotoGP races were snooozefests, sure, Stoner is a freak at the moment and nothing more can be said about him, but everyone would rather see a close race, especially considering the championship is decided..

Im looking forward to Malaysia now and hopefully a better race..
    Yes team green are on the improve most definetely without any doubt performance wise! Maybe you did not see qualifying on Saturday? the rubber science can be sorted for them given a little more time by the green tyre boffins as they seem to have good speed and reliability now....
    Ant is just a typical Aussie after the race and pissed off with anything less than with at least a step oo the podium. I dont see his performance as disapointing at all really, he was going great guns till his tyres went off very impressive potential ala Casey a season or so back
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_jackal
    Umm.. Actually Ant was pretty dissapointed with his weekend at P.I.. Mainly because two weeks before at Motegi he qualified sixth in the dry and had the pace to stick it out on race tyres..

It was clear he/his team couldnt make the rear tyre last for more than 5 laps on race rubber around the Island, which is killing your race virtually before it's started.. Anyway, he fought pretty well and had an entertaining stoush with CV, Edwards, Checa etc.. He'll be looking forward to Sepang im sure..

Back onto the racing, 125s were easily the pick of the bunch, fantastic, nail biting stuff .. In all honesty, the 250 and MotoGP races were snooozefests, sure, Stoner is a freak at the moment and nothing more can be said about him, but everyone would rather see a close race, especially considering the championship is decided..

Im looking forward to Malaysia now and hopefully a better race..

Snooze fest eh??? hmmmm, NO WAY personally seeing an extremely talented young Aussie rider coming of age winning his home GP so convinsingly is about as far from boring as I can think of.
    Mind you I have been around this sport for a long time now and thouroughly appreciate the intricacies and engineering invloved that it takes to produce a consistant winning performance package such as with Ducati and Casey. Granted the racing this year has only been close when Casey has had a minor problem as such..... No and watching Mick streaking the field during the 90's was not 'boring' to me either.....
    Personally I like to see Aussies kicking butt especially Rossi by as big a margin as possible every time, I cant get enough of that.....

Yes team green are on the improve most definetely without any doubt performance wise! Maybe you did not see qualifying on Saturday? the rubber science can be sorted for them given a little more time by the green tyre boffins as they seem to have good speed and reliability now....
    Ant is just a typical Aussie after the race and pissed off with anything less than with at least a step on the podium. I dont see his performance as disapointing at all really, he was going great guns till his tyres went off very impressive potential ala Casey a season or so back
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osg
    It's a cracker isn't it Corny..... best circuit in MotoGP for mine.
    Have to agree, it's a great track.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another awesome race from MotoGP. Rossi and Capirossi dueling it out to the very end, to good!

Stoner, what can you say, he earned his title and showed it on his home turf. Bravo!
    :bones:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Something for the 'Stoner is just on the best bike/tyre/jockstrap' crowd.

At the start of 2006, Stoner was riding a privateer Honda (LCR), in his first ever MotoGP race. At Qatar, he took pole, with an outright lap record, after having spent two days in airports and airplanes, and with a stomach bug.

He beat Capirossi on the Ducati 990 to do so.

I think Stoner will take the last two rounds as well. 2008 can't come soon enough for the other guys!
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Something for the 'Stoner is just on the best bike/tyre/jockstrap' crowd.

At the start of 2006, Stoner was riding a privateer Honda (LCR), in his first ever MotoGP race. At Qatar, he took pole, with an outright lap record, after having spent two days in airports and airplanes, and with a stomach bug.

He beat Capirossi on the Ducati 990 to do so.

I think Stoner will take the last two rounds as well. 2008 can't come soon enough for the other guys!
    Aint that the truth...

Maybe he had another "unfair" advantage and was wearing Ducati/Bridgestone non-skid undies?

Looking forward to 08 just the same for the ultimate salt rub Stoner show

07 will prove to of been tame compared to 08 for team Ducati. The only serious threat to the 'Casey Show' I can envision 'maybe' possibly will come from 08 team mate Marco, he impresses me a lot and just consider how he did this year compared to the factory Hondas!! and he can ride in the wet unlike most of the other Europeans.

Team Red- Stoner/Melandri #1 are a safe bet prediction for 08
    #1 #7 #13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry for the delay, here is my Phillip Island MotoGP review.

Had a fantastic weekend. Was rapt that race day was fine and sunny and even more stoked with Caseys performance.

The 'weekend' started for me at the Melbourne Motorcycle show the previous weekend where I got to meet Chris 'the gentleman' Vermeulen. He was fanstastic. Signed my t-shirt and shook the hand of everyone he met. Just a really nice guy.
    We left on Friday morning and it hosed down on us as I started my bike. We called in at the local Maccas for breakie and took off during a clearing of the skies. The rest of the weekend consisted of a few showers and doing our best not to get blown of the Island but we rugged up and survived ok.
    The support acts at Phillip Island were fantastic as usual. Stunt riders doing stupid things on bikes that I wish I was good enough to do. The expo was good with plenty of models (mechanical and human!) from each manufacturer to look at. The local racing classes were of a high standard, though the disappointing thing is that they get bumper grids in front of a large MotoGP crowd that aren't there for the regular rounds. I got to do a grid walk which was terrific to be able to wander passed and view inside of the teams pitboxes. It was really interesting to see Jorge Lorenzo enter his pit just after claiming pole and seeing the whole team clap him. And of course, the highlight of all the non-GP entertainment was the FA-18 Hornet display. It doesn't matter how many times I see those awesome things, they just amaze me.

And then there were the Grand Prix races. The 125's were absolutely sensational. For the most part there was a leading group of about 11 which would segregate into smaller groups and look like breaking up but then everyone would close up again. Was stoked Pesek won as I thought he really deserved it with the race he ran and we had a Pesek fan in our stand complete with Lukas Pesek t-shirt and Czech flag. The Lukas did a burnout for us. Hooray!

The 250 race, whilst a non-event for the win, was a fantastic battle for 2nd. I was really hoping for Dovi to get the better of Bautista but it was clear that his horsepower disadvantage just wasn't quite going to allow him to do so. Jorge was in a complete class of his own all weekend and his clearing out wasn't a particular surprise, but the rate at which he did was a bit more unexpected. And as much as I hate Lorenzo's arrogance, I do like his showmanship.

And then there was the main event. Stoner had been fastest in all sessions until final qualifying but he had also taken a couple of tumbles, most notably on Saturday where he had a fairly substantial highside. The big question was who could give him a run for his money? Given that Nicky made a last second jump to qualify 4th, he didn't appear the strongest candidate but then he does have good form at the Island and really put up a fantastic fight. I was real disappointed to see his Honda break down but that sympathy lessened a bit when he carried on like a pork chop. Dani and Vale were never really in the battle for the win but Capirossi's ride to second was fantastic. DePuniet and Hopkins fought back from poor positions for strong finishes. West's Kwak clearly looked to be handling poorly, constantly wheelying under power between southern loop and entering the turn 3 sweeper. It was a shame to see him fade backwards but on the flipside it was encouraging to see Vermeulen pushing forwards after an extremely trying weekend on his Suzuk, resplendent in it's fantastic Barry Sheene tribute livery.

Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend that (as always) disappeared too fast. The turnout at the track was really good though not as strong as I was expecting. The only downside is that it is now 12 months til it comes back again. Oh well. It won't be that long and WSB will be back and 2008 is looking very promising. I took a bunch of photos and will try post some of 'em when I can.

Cheers.

Clint.
    Get off my lawn