Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John

3. The rallys
    This goes entirely wrong! Some stages used more times a day and then a couple of Superspecials for to receive more money and for the TV! What a joke. I keep on to say, make it cheaper and go back to the roots of rally.
    I don't really mind the super special stages and I quite enjoy following them live. But in no way should they replace regular stages, like they did at Monte Carlo this year.

As FocusChampion said, they're pretty much mandatory these days.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The result of race road in rally with modern cars, with an old MK2 there would be no problem in this situation. mokin:
    http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=M6bwb_sZoRA
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts

The cars

WORLD MOTOR SPORT COUNCIL

“From 2012, it was agreed in principle that world rally cars will be four-wheel drive and turbo-charged, based on mass-produced Group N and S2000 specification cars. Cost reducing measures will also be introduced.”

This is what we now at the moment. In an interview the FIA World Rally Championship Commissions chairman Morrie Chandler also said “In the future the size of a WRC car will be the size of a Citroën C4 / Ford Focus.”

The WRC cars based on the S2000 regulations will have a turbo but will they have a gearbox with an active central differential also? I think an active central differential is crucial (but also more expensive) for a S2000 based car on a slippery surface because the N4 based car would have one if they use the same gearboxes as they do nowadays.

At least a WRC car based on S2000 or N4 will be cheaper than the WRC cars nowadays. The lifespan cost of a future car depends on the evolution regulations. With the existing regulations a manufacturer can introduce one evolution per year but are allowed to replace a lot of parts. For example over 50% of the Subaru’s 2007 evolutions engine parts where different compared to the former evolution. In the S2000 homologation regulations there are a “joker rule” that allows 10 jokers per Super 2000 Rally homologation extension. A year after the homologation of the car only 5 can be used. This would reduce the cost a lot.

If it’s true what Chandler said about the sizes of the cars, I think we also will have separate S2000 cars and WRC cars based on the S2000 regulations. The minimum length of a S2000 car by the homologation regulations is 3,90 m. For example Citroen doesn’t have a suitable car for this minimum length, the C2 is to short (3,66 m) and the C4 is too big (4,27 m) to get down to the minimum with of 1150 kg (gravel).

Altogether I think the WRC concept has been the best ever. The B group cars were very spectacular but far to powerful compared to their road handling. By the way, this is the eleventh year of WRC. Congratulations to the ten-year-old regulation.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the internet was around in the 70's I have a feeling wed be hearing people very opposed to "special stages" and the nature of speed vs distance. Im sure most of us love the ss and the speed etc...

In my opinion most here are too quick to judge the new calendar will help attract manu's all the fia should do now is cut most of the tech out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalo
    There should be cheaper gearboxes, like bringing back central-stick secuential ones (rather than the gearbox pad we now nowadays). Of course, it's not what I want (and I'm sure none of us)
    None of us? Does that include the tens of thousands who would rather the WRC go back to H pattern gearboxes and mechanical differentials? WRC has gotten so crap in the last few years. I watched GroupN coverage from Japan and that was miles better to watch then the WRC cars! They were slipping and sliding there way down the roads.

I heard this comment once.

In GroupN you drive the cars on the limit to make them go fast(Excitement).
    In WRC you drive to your own limit as they can go faster.
    Power is useless without skill

Poetry in Motion, RS1800 BDA

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyfanNZ
    I heard this comment once.

In GroupN you drive the cars on the limit to make them go fast(Excitement).
    In WRC you drive to your own limit as they can go faster.

That is well said

But why has WRC gotten crap ? I don't think it's the consept but the rules over it. That's why I welcome the new rallying with open arm. Maybe we have a year or few to start with clean table.

But it's not WRc which is crap. It's the level of competition in it which is
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the FIA need to stop treating the WRC as if it's F1. They need to change the points system to more closely reflect the nature of rallying, like that of various national championships. They also need to change the rules about teams which are too much like F1 these days.

And yeah, change back to all-mechanical transmissions. I think making the cars closer (mechanically) to the road cars, although four-wheel-drive is a necessity.
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBrooke
    I think the FIA need to stop treating the WRC as if it's F1. They need to change the points system to more closely reflect the nature of rallying, like that of various national championships. They also need to change the rules about teams which are too much like F1 these days.

And yeah, change back to all-mechanical transmissions. I think making the cars closer (mechanically) to the road cars, although four-wheel-drive is a necessity.
    I agree this, the largest problem will be "who can chance the F.I.A.?"
    :cool: You Can´t Loose What Your Never Had.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    That is well said

But why has WRC gotten crap ? I don't think it's the consept but the rules over it. That's why I welcome the new rallying with open arm. Maybe we have a year or few to start with clean table.

But it's not WRc which is crap. It's the level of competition in it which is
    Why can't the WRC attract manufacturers like GM, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, e.g the big hitters with clout. Apart from Ford the rest are 'small fry'.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reason why regulations are there is to police "manufacturers" to play by the books.

However regulations have the same effect on rallying as they do on a company. Regulations add costs. Its costs which would prevent some manufacturers from joining the WRC. I'm not an economist, but I know why most people I know love the sport. That is because when they think of rallying they think of the 80's/90's. Not modern day rally cars.

When I think rallying I think of "setting up the car", cars sliding around tarmac hairpins, H pattern boxes etc.

Sometimes you need to step backwards so that you can take two steps forward.
    Power is useless without skill

Poetry in Motion, RS1800 BDA