Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    [QUOTE=Watson;1142393

The way the cars are now I find perfect. They look like monsters and are spectacular in motion, they sound amazing and you just know that this is as fast as it gets without being stupidly dangerous. They got me properly hooked with the WRC again.[/QUOTE]
    +1

But R5 is definitely the best support class ever.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    The current WRC cars are roughly 3-4x more expensive to run than R5. If they make R5 the top category it won't make WRC 3-4x cheaper but the R5 at least 2x more expensive. I prefer to keep them what they are. And when I say to keep I mean to keep like they are now. Not to enlarge restrictor or to add paddle shifting like they may do next year. It would only add cost which is totally unnecessary.

Anyway I think that previous decade has shown quite clearly that trying to make top tier cheap is nonsense. It never worked and it never will.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: electroliquid (15th June 2017),TWRC (15th June 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    +1

But R5 is definitely the best support class ever.
    Yeah definitely as a support class they are superb. Also, when you go and watch a more local rally there are more things to look at now than just Evos and Imprezas, which is nice.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    R5 cars are too dull to make the top class in rallying. S2000s were the "lesser" class that still had the thrill to be used as the top class imo, but im sure the FIA killed that category to kill the threat from the IRC.

The R5 class has been great, don't get me wrong, but to think that could be the top class in rallying is laughable. Thankfully the new regulations are a huge step in the right direction, the new wrc cars are great to watch both live and on tv/ videos.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Maybe one day hopefully not too far off there will nanofluid batteries suitable for a stage rally machine. If electric cars are part of the automotive future there should be electric rally car test beds if safew enough.
    Drain the fluid at the end of a loop or a mid-loop point service and pour in some more charged liquid. (or the quick change high density batteries etc)
    http://nanoflowcell.com/ (1000km test machine in 8 hours?)

As a fan of motorsport I don't look forward to electric cars at all even though I understand they have to come sooner or later. I don't know if You have ever seen live some electric race car/formula but the lack of sound and the train-like appearance is really killing any excitement.

8. Likes: pantealex (15th June 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    https://youtu.be/5844VCjRpv0

It's awfull. I'm all for electric road cars to save fuel for motorsports.

Jay Leno once said it on top gear. The electric engine is to the internal combustion engine what the latter was to the horse. Horses were replaced in all the practical uses but they are still around for the things people enjoy about them. The same way petrol fuelled cars will stick around for people to have fun in. Though it will be an expensive hobby. To what degree competitive motorsport can be done with petrol cars is questionable as well, since the car makers will have moved on and won't invest money.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I'm looking forward to electric rally cars, having test driven a Tesla, they sure have performance. It's just the sound that's missing...

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I'm looking forward to electric rally cars, having test driven a Tesla, they sure have performance. It's just the sound that's missing...
    Having looked at a few Formula E races, I disagree.
    The sound is a big part of the fun, no sound no fun!

Not only the sound. Electric cars are perfectly suitable for ideal torque vectoring and traction control. That makes them appear very slow because they drive like on rails and the point is that the faster the time the more boring it looks.