Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Marco Andretti to Drive Honda F1 Car next week.

From SpeedTV.

=======================

IndyCar Series “Rookie of the Year” Marco Andretti will get his first experience of a Formula 1 car courtesy of Honda Racing when he joins the team’s test at the Spanish circuit of Jerez next week.

The team has invited Marco to drive its 2006-spec RA106 on Friday, December 15, the final day of its scheduled test, in recognition of the 19-year-old’s achievements in the Honda-powered IndyCar Series this year. Andretti scored a win on the Infineon Raceway road course, and finished second in the Indianapolis 500 at his first attempt.

The son of two-time IndyCar Series championship-winning team owner and former CART champion Michael Andretti, and the grandson of racing legend Mario Andretti is also teammates at Andretti Green Racing with Brazilian Tony Kanaan, who was awarded with a similar “experience” of a Honda F1 car last December, for winning the IndyCar Series crown in 2004.

“I am thrilled that Honda has offered me this incredible opportunity,” Andretti said. “2006 was a fantastic inaugural year for me in the IRL and I look forward to fighting for the championship next season. However, as you would expect of any racing driver, when Honda offered me the chance to drive, I grabbed it with both hands – no hesitation! I can only imagine what an awesome experience this is going to be and I’m just going to take my time and enjoy every moment.”

Former Champ Car and IndyCar driver Gil de Ferran, now Sporting Director for Honda Racing, said, “We are delighted to have Marco join us in Jerez next week for his first run in a Formula 1 car. Marco has had an outstanding first season in the IndyCar Series, making a big impact at such a young age. As part of the extended Honda Racing family, it will be a great pleasure for us to give him the chance of his first experience of Formula 1.”

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This caught me by surprise, but it is definitely a positive. Let's hope that it leads to further involvement with the Honda F1 team, or F1 at all for Marco.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grassrootsracer
    This caught me by surprise, but it is definitely a positive. Let's hope that it leads to further involvement with the Honda F1 team, or F1 at all for Marco.
    Mario's been "pushing"... attempting to get Marco interest in Formula 1.
    Micheal, on the other hand, still has bad memories, tinged with bitterness, from his own experience as a driver in F-1.

I wonder who will win the "tug-of-war" ... between Grandfather & Father...

deciding where Marco will be driving in a year or two.

IMO... Marco has the talent to compete at the F-1 level. I don't think Money is or will be a major consideration. On the other hand, Marco may want to drive against the best open wheel drivers in F-1. This will be an interesting storyline to follow.

mokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really hope Mario gets his way. I'd hate to see Marco's talent wasted in the IRL.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    If you don't find Scotty around the paddock much longer, you can bet that Bernard will add some influential weighting to Mario's argument.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A bit like Tony Kanaan last year.

Oh well, this could be interesting.
    Super Aguri Honda - "the two Japanese friends," Rubens Barrichello
    22. Takuma Sato :).....
    23. Anthony Davidson :up:.....

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Just hope the skill and talent skipped a generation as Michael certainly had none.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wasnt Wheldon also promised a HondaF1 test for winning the IRL a few years back? Seems hes been overlooked yet great to see Marco in an F1 car - infact, I really wanted to see Marco in GP2 in 2006.

I feel that grandpa will win the Andretti father/grandfather tug-of-love and expect Marco in F1 by 2008/09 hopefully
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolton Midnight
    Just hope the skill and talent skipped a generation as Michael certainly had none.
    Pffft... do you really think he lacked... "Talent" ?

Michael Andretti was simply screwed over by the FIA, when he drove in Formula 1. Rules were changed... thus not allowing Michael the opportunity to test, become familar with, and sort out the car.

Even Sena, who was his team-mate, said when Michael left the series, that Micheal Andretti was more than fast enough, he didn't get a fair chance in F-1.

Do a Google search on Michael Andretti's racing career. He's been VERY SUCCESSFUL... both as a Driver and Owner in professional racing.

mokin:

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trumperZ06

Do a Google search on Michael Andretti's racing career. He's been VERY SUCCESSFUL... both as a Driver and Owner in professional racing.

mokin:

Who needs Google

Michael Andretti - 1993 Results-- Select Season --1993
    Date Grandprix Team Winning Time Leader Offset Pos Pts Total
    14/03/1993 South African GP McLaren Retirement - Hit Warwick 0 0
    28/03/1993 Brazil McLaren Retirement - Accident With Berger 0 0
    11/04/1993 European GP McLaren Retirement - Collision With Wendlinger 0 0
    25/04/1993 San Marino McLaren Retirement - Spun 0 0
    09/05/1993 Spain McLaren 92:27.685 +1 lap 5 2 2
    23/05/1993 Monaco McLaren 112:10.947 +2 laps 8 0 2
    13/06/1993 Canada McLaren 96:41.822 +3 laps 14 0 2
    04/07/1993 France McLaren 98:35.241 +1 lap 6 1 3
    11/07/1993 Britain McLaren Retirement - Spun 0 3
    25/07/1993 Germany McLaren Retirement - Accident With Berger 0 3
    15/08/1993 Hungary McLaren Retirement - Throttle Failure 0 3
    29/08/1993 Belgium McLaren 84:32.124 +1 lap 8 0 3
    12/09/1993 Italy McLaren 77:7.509 +1 lap 3 4 7

That's terrible, about on a par with that other American great Scott Speed.

Doing well in America doesn't really mean a great deal as IRL/CART/NASCAR etc are all second rate series.