Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

BMW announces entry into Superbike World Championship for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SBK official website
    BMW Motorrad is opening a new chapter in road racing. Peter Müller, Vice President Development and Model Lines BMW Motorrad, stated at the Mondial du Deux Roues Motorcycle Show in Paris on Friday, September 28th:

“In 2007 BMW returned to road racing with the sports boxer after more than 50 years. In 2008 we will continue our activities in the Endurance category. At the same time we will be preparing our entry into the Superbike World Championship in 2009 with great intensity.”
    Triumph in supersport, BMW in Superbike, looks like SBK is the place to be

I wonder if we are going to use a 1200cc Boxer or a 1000cc 4
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    It'll be the 4 cylinder. There has been a lot of time and effort put into getting it to this level

The Boxer twin, while used for many single-make series, just isn't the tool for the riggors of SBK, no matter where it is raced. It just isn't the equal of the Ducati, Aprillia, or even the new Buell/Rotax engine. The 4 cylinder will be targeted more against the Hondas, 'zukes, Kawas, and Yamas, as it's built towards that end of the specs.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Id agree with that. BMW have done amazing things with a 60 yr old engine design both on their R series road bikes and the Boxer cup racers, but the lack of ground clearance and increased frontal area wont be offset by an extra 200 cc when racing ath the top level

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mcglinchey
    Id agree with that. BMW have done amazing things with a 60 yr old engine design both on their R series road bikes and the Boxer cup racers, but the lack of ground clearance and increased frontal area wont be offset by an extra 200 cc when racing ath the top level
    Yeah but that extra width would make them harder to get past, right?
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember seeing footage of Randy Mamola having a go in one of those BMW one make series. Leant it over too far, clipped the ground with the outstretched engine and flew into a gravel trap. Pretty spectacular.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    great to see BMW in SBK in 18 months time.
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hope that the BMW F1 team don't whine that they need more money and force BMW head office to scrap the WSBK program to make up the cash. My fingers are crossed that this doesn't happen.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    I hope that the BMW F1 team don't whine that they need more money and force BMW head office to scrap the WSBK program to make up the cash. My fingers are crossed that this doesn't happen.
    It's a good point, there's no other manufacturer out there doing what BMW is proposing to do.

Personally I'd like to see them ditch F1 - that would send a clear message to Bernie Pty Ltd that things are well and truly out of control. Unlikely, of course, but stranger things have happened.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    It's a good point, there's no other manufacturer out there doing what BMW is proposing to do.
    what do you mean?

Honda is in F1, MotoGP, Superbikes, IRL, Le Mans, Formula Nippon, pretty much any sport with an engine.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxu05
    Why would BMW F1 whine or even care?

The costs for the bike development and production have nothing to do with the motorsport division since its a production bike and the costs of a superbike team are not high, about 3mil, nothing for BMW

If it was motoGP then the F1 team would understandably not be happy since it would take away from it's resources