Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Single tyre rule??

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/moto...id=3&section=1

Crap idea IMO. Also, its funny how its only when Michelin have their arses handed to them that this comes up. :\

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't really see any sign that using a control tire has had any negative impact on WSB or F1, so I don't see why it's a bad idea for MotoGP. That said I also don't see whats wrong with the current situation.

By the looks of qualifying in Japan, Michelin are getting their act back together. If the rules stay the same next year I would be surprised to see either tire manufacture dominate the way Bridgestone 'seemingly' has done this year.

Part of me thinks the competition is good and the other part of me thinks a control tire will eliminate on common excuse for poor performances.
    go speed racer go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman
    I don't really see any sign that using a control tire has had any negative impact on WSB or F1, so I don't see why it's a bad idea for MotoGP. That said I also don't see whats wrong with the current situation.

By the looks of qualifying in Japan, Michelin are getting their act back together. If the rules stay the same next year I would be surprised to see either tire manufacture dominate the way Bridgestone 'seemingly' has done this year.

Part of me thinks the competition is good and the other part of me thinks a control tire will eliminate on common excuse for poor performances.
    Fatty I agree with what you are saying.

I beleive it is too early to go to a control tyre, give it at minimum one more season.

The downside to having multiple tyre suppliers is that one supplier normally dominates, its the way the world works!

I am not against a control tyre but I am against eliminating competition and progress amongst suppliers.

Dunlop must be questioning why they bothered to spend the development/sponsorship dollars to this point to only find they may not be allowed to compete.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Rossi hopes it is adopted.

Rossi hopes control tyre is adopted

By Matt Beer Saturday, September 22nd 2007, 13:21 GMT

Valentino Rossi has come out in favour of MotoGP's proposed switch to a single tyre supplier for the 2008 season.

Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta revealed earlier today that the move to control tyres had been tabled at the Grand Prix Commission meeting at Motegi, and that a decision would be taken by next month's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rossi has been outspoken in his frustration at the tyre situation in recent months, having struggled to compete with the Bridgestone-shod bikes for several races in the middle of the season.

"For me, it's good," Rossi told the official MotoGP website.

"Because I think, especially this year, the tyres have too much importance.

"Sometimes Michelin was better, a lot of times Bridgestone was better, but it was like two different championships.

"For me, it's better to start everybody from the same place."

There was widespread debate about the effect that tyre inequalities were having on the quality of the show in MotoGP after a string of uneventful races during the summer.

But these concerns were largely alleviated by last week's close-fought Portuguese Grand Prix, in which progress by Michelin allowed Rossi and Dani Pedrosa to battle with Stoner and eventually finish first and second. Michelin has also taken all three front row positions at Motegi today.

Michelin Sport boss Frederic-Henri Biabaud has openly suggested that the control tyre proposal is being pushed by influential riders rather than a tyre manufacturer or team.

He admitted that some riders were not in favour of open tyre competition, and that it might be impossible to persuade them otherwise.

"Obviously they seem to be difficult to convince, it is strange," Biabaud said.
    I agree with Stoner in that these guys (Rossi in particular) shouldn't forget which tyres they've been riding with for the past few seasons and the results they have acheived from them. :\

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ^^^^^ What he said. Spot on assessment.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really don't see Rossi's comments as being motivated by the fact that he isn't winning as many races this season. If you compare how close the racing is in WSB and MotoGP this season, I think you'll find that WSB is much closer.

Rossi's point seems to be that tires now make up too much of the equation. If it's 40% rider, 30% bike and 20% tire, then there are too many elements coming into play. A control tire ensures without any shred of doubt that the series is all about bikes and riders and nothing else.
    go speed racer go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You're right. Rossi should only ask him self what's wrong with him. We does unacceptable starts, losing several positions. He DNF 2 times and in those 2 races Michelin best rider scored a total of 35 point (Pedrosa - 25 points in Sachsenring and CCheca 10 points Misano). That would have put Rossi at only 41 points behind Stoner with still 100 points to dispute.
    If Rossi had finish all races so far as the 1st Michelin rider he would be now 32 points behind Stoner. This would be a different Championship.
    He lost another 10 points to Stone, in Shanghai and Losail, and that had nothing to do with tyres.
    Talk about tyres is a good way to divert attention from more real issues.

Before I finish just a short comment to Fatman post, have you ever compare lap times and race times in WSB before and after the single tyre rule? You do that.
    This is MotoGP and WSB no Motorcycle Formula.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why not a controlled engine and a controlled chassis? Like that we guaranty it is all about ridding.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    how do you use the quotes that point to the original poster?

anyway I agree with fatman that the control tyre has produced better racing this season. still as a racing competition I believe tyre companies should be allowed to compete.

Also for the people that are asking why werent the rules changed when Michelin was winning and seem to think Michelin is the one pushing the rule change. Michelin and Bridgestone are against control tyres. They have nothing to gain. Michelin pulled out of F1 because they had no interest in a series without competition and Bridgestone admitted that no-one is paying much attention in tyres at F1 no more (the 2 tyre types, white line thing in F1 is to give Bridgestone at least some attention)
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    I am hoping for the same tire rules as this season. Bridgestone was far behind, but in Portugal and now in Japan, Michelin was probably even better then Bridgestone. Dunlop and Sylvain Guintoli did a good job too this whole weekend.