Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

de Angelis to Gresini for 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62505

De Angelis confirms Gresini deal

By Michele Lostia Monday, September 17th 2007, 09:20 GMT

Alex de Angelis has confirmed he will make the step up to MotoGP next year with the Honda Gresini team.

The San Marino rider, after four seasons of riding with Aprilia in the 250cc class, is reported to have signed a one-year contract with an option for a second year with the Honda satellite team.

De Angelis will take the place of Marco Melandri, who will move to the Marlboro Ducati outfit as announced last July in Laguna Seca.

"I'm really happy," de Angelis is quoted to have said on Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I welcome the move up to MotoGP with great enthusiasm, but also with the calmness of having made the best choice at the right time.

"I have a lot of belief in Fausto Gresini's team. These years they've demonstrated to be a top team with nothing to envy of the works outfits."

So that's the top 3 250cc riders of the past few years all stepping up. The times, they are a' changing. :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think he's seen the new wave of riders coming into 250 and has got his chance in MotoGP while it lasts. Personally, I would rather he prove himself as a 250 race winner first but I don't think he's up to it. Good luck to him, it's a good ride to get.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    de Angelis is great rider, but seems he is not fit to win a tittle. Great that he has opportunity riding motogp, but this maybe great also for Bautista as he can free and ease ride, and no need to be reluctant overtake the senior.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just further excitement added to 2008 with this announcement IMO, think about the battles mid-field as the ex-250 riders come to terms with the bigger bikes and duke it out, it will be interesting to see who comes good quicker? Dovi? Alex? Jorge? Toseland?

I cant wait! I also am interested to see how Westy goes compared to DeAngelis, Dovi etc, who have all had factory rides given to them over him in the past cant wait!!
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Lorenzo is the only rider of the new ones that should have the equipment to be competitive the rest will be mid-field

Heres how I expect the rookies to do next season (MotoGP considers a rider competing in his first full season as a rookie so west will be eligible for "Rookie of the year" in 2008)

Jorge Lorenzo (factory Yamaha): if the bike is sorted then regular top 5 finishes. Outperformed by his teammate
    James Toseland (Tech3): even with more support and michelins his bike will be one of the worst out there, regular points finishes at around 11-12th with some top 10 finishes. Outperformed by his teammate
    Alex de Angelis (Gresini): depenting on his support from HRC, his goal should be top 10 finishes. if his teammate is Nakano back on stones then de Angelis should be outperformed by his teammate
    Andrea Dovizioso (Scot JiR): same as de Angelis, no teammate
    Anthony West (Kawasaki): about the same as this year. at the same level as his teammate.
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    West wont be eligible, he completed a full year in the premier class in 2001 aboard a v-twin 500cc machine..
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!