Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I think the term Pay Driver is very difficult to define. Some drivers, although they do get paid, bring a helluva lot of sponsorship money to a team, or their salary is covered by the motor supplier.

Then, of course, a driver like SchM or Alonso could actually end up bringing more money to the team through various ways (like clothing and flag sales) than the team pays them.

But yeah! there are some drivers who get into a team ahead of more gifted drivers simply because they bring money and sponsorship to the team, without which a team like Williams nowadays simply could not survive.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    Didn't Bourdais lose out to Monteiro in the '05 Jordan seat because Monteiro brought more dough?
    i thought that was briscoe
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

My home is a sanctuary for my spirit, where my soul can touch base with its source, Almighty God.
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I think the term Pay Driver is very difficult to define. Some drivers, although they do get paid, bring a helluva lot of sponsorship money to a team, or their salary is covered by the motor supplier.

Then, of course, a driver like SchM or Alonso could actually end up bringing more money to the team through various ways (like clothing and flag sales) than the team pays them.

But yeah! there are some drivers who get into a team ahead of more gifted drivers simply because they bring money and sponsorship to the team, without which a team like Williams nowadays simply could not survive.
    Timing is everything. When Schumacher started, he needed Eddie Jordan's money to get into the race.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agwiii
    Timing is everything. When Schumacher started, he needed Eddie Jordan's money to get into the race.
    I understood that Jordan gave Schumacher the drive, because Schumacher had financial backing from Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    I understood that Jordan gave Schumacher the drive, because Schumacher had financial backing from Mercedes.
    Mercedes paid £250,000 for Schumi to have the drive.

That said, Michael needed the financial backing of Willi Weber to move from karting to cars. Without that, he wouldn't have been part of the Mercedes 'Junior' programme to begin with.

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    does not getting a drive in a decent car count ,then i pick Alex Wurz,unless you count the one shot he had in 2005..........
    The Benetton had it moments specifically in early 1998 and early 2000 - Wurz was initial the equal of Fisi but from mid 98 onwards was consistently and comfortably outperformed by Fisi.

He had his chance over a number of years and is lucky to have another one now at Williams for 2007.
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

My home is a sanctuary for my spirit, where my soul can touch base with its source, Almighty God.
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EJ has taken credit for coming up with the money to get MS his first drive. What is the saying about drivers? "The older I get, the faster I was." Perhaps there is an element in this one too -- the "I helped Schumacher when he was nobody."
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    EJ has taken credit for coming up with the money to get MS his first drive. What is the saying about drivers? "The older I get, the faster I was." Perhaps there is an element in this one too -- the "I helped Schumacher when he was nobody."
    Don't know where you heard that.

EJ always says that people credit him with discovering Schumacher, but that in reality he only gave him the drive because he had loads of Mercedes cash.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Don't know where you heard that.

EJ always says that people credit him with discovering Schumacher, but that in reality he only gave him the drive because he had loads of Mercedes cash.
    Indeed. Dave Coyne might (would?) have got the drive otherwise.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is a new era.
    Really? from what I know most drivers in the 50's and 60's payed their drives.
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p