Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bad for F1. Good for the WRC?

Is F1's spygate going to be a good thing for the WRC? Sponsors and manufacturers are very careful about what people think of their name and what it's associated with. Of course McLaren look bad in light of what's come out but because of the half hearted way the FIA has either allowed cheating to be rewarded or has punished McLaren because it can the whole of F1 looks bad. Could we possibly see sponsors and manufacturers walk away from Formula 1 and come to the WRC looking for some "clean" publicity and promotion? Whatever comes out today in regards to what happened it will look bad for Formula 1 and that can only be good for the WRC as any "cheating" in the WRC has usually been a flywheel a little bit too light or some windows being too thin. Hardly stuff that damages the sport to it's core like "spygate" has damaged F1.

I honestly feel that the WRC is an explosion waiting to happen. You've got Suzuki coming in, we've got a reduction in the number of rounds, we've got some very skilled drivers and at the end of the day rallying is a very exciting sport for the average person to watch and I think if we were to have a driver like Colin come back and do well in the Suzuki (purely a thought that someone suggested last night) then the WRC will suddenly become a much more exciting sport to watch and we'll have yet another golden age

Well I hope so!

P.S We should get that Paasonen guy back. Seeing him crash all the time was fun
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    You hope so, I wish so!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I sadly think this is bad for motorsport in general. I really wish it is good for rallying but I don't know what to think.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Daniel, I really admire your optimism, and I wish you were right. BUT, honestly, I can't see it happening, the points you raise are all relevant and make sense, however what are these multi national blue chip companies going to get out of it. At the moment nearly every 2 weeks 18 times a year, there is guaranteed coverage worldwide, on Saturdays and Sundays for 1.5-2 hours. Compare with WRC, hmm, not really comparable.
    And don't even think about dumbing it down even more, it's bad as it is.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Donney. The WRC has always been fairly "clean" Toyota cheated and got a 2 year ban and any other cheating was usually dealt with severely. So while it's bad for motorsport it's not entirely bad for the WRC.

Andy Just a few years ago the WRC was going along gangbusters. It would be silly to ignore the crap coverage but I think the crap coverage followed a bit of a downturn in the popularity of the WRC in the UK due to the lack of McRae's and Burns'. It's not inconceivable that an injection of sponsor money into the WRC and the arrival of another team or 2 would be the catalyst for a turnaround now that the WRC's traditional rival is bogged down in controversy. A big part of me wants this whole thing to end cleanly for F1 but a small selfish part of me wants it to tear F1 apart and set it back 10 years as this could benefit the WRC
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    The F1A wouldn't allow F1 to tear itself apart, and for the WRC to be more successful. Look at the Toyota saga, threw team AND drivers out, not caring for the end of the Championship, yet McLaren get thrown out but drivers don't. The F1A favour F1 and Ferrari. The WRC is like an annoying kid to them.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Rallying is not "clean"

:
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    The F1A wouldn't allow F1 to tear itself apart, and for the WRC to be more successful. Look at the Toyota saga, threw team AND drivers out, not caring for the end of the Championship, yet McLaren get thrown out but drivers don't. The F1A favour F1 and Ferrari. The WRC is like an annoying kid to them.
    But the FIA only have a certain amount of control. If people think F1 is dirty sponsors won't invest in F1. I'm certain there are sponsors on that McLaren who won't be there next year....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Rallying is not "clean"

:
    It's the right kind of dirty though

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Rallying is not "clean"

:
    I agree. If rallying is clean, it isn't done right
    Another Flying Finn