Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCar
    I'm curious....how do non-Americans get interested in NASCAR? It just seems so American that the thought crossed my mind when I see posts from all over the world about it.

I'd be interested in hearing some "How I became a NASCAR fan..." stories from non-Americans if anyone is so inclined.
    I cannot say I bacame a NASCAR fan, but I'm on the verge of becoming one. If you want to know the reasons, I can list two of them.

1) I always liked American racing, but as a European I became a CART fan, besides F1. But Champ car is all but dead right now, so I have to look for something else, like many open-wheel drivers in the U.S.

2) Drivers I'm interested in are going to NASCAR. Montoya first and foremost, but next year should be even more interesting with Villeneuve and Franchitti coming as well.

Of course, just like American fans I presume, I don't really like a number of things about NASCAR. That's the concept of some play-off (Chase) and the qualifying rules. I'm a purist, so I think the fastest cars should make the field, and the guy with the most points should be crowned as champion.
    The only thing that doesn't lie in racing is the stopwatch. (Derek Daly)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetch
    I cannot say I bacame a NASCAR fan, but I'm on the verge of becoming one. If you want to know the reasons, I can list two of them.

1) I always liked American racing, but as a European I became a CART fan, besides F1. But Champ car is all but dead right now, so I have to look for something else, like many open-wheel drivers in the U.S.

2) Drivers I'm interested in are going to NASCAR. Montoya first and foremost, but next year should be even more interesting with Villeneuve and Franchitti coming as well.

Of course, just like American fans I presume, I don't really like a number of things about NASCAR. That's the concept of some play-off (Chase) and the qualifying rules. I'm a purist, so I think the fastest cars should make the field, and the guy with the most points should be crowned as champion.
    Oh I totally agree about The Chase- if anyone other than Jeff Gordon is champion this year will be an absolute travesty, I also agree about the qualifying rules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How I Got Into NASCAR....

2 ways.

1. I watched Talladega on Motors TV years ago in 2001 (iirc)
    2. Thanks to the Champ Car World Series racing at Rockingham which has the then ASCAR series as sup port.

Then i fulfilled a dream and went to this Springs Busch and Cup race at Bristol.......boy am i glad i didn't choose the August race.

Richard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djparky
    Oh I totally agree about The Chase- if anyone other than Jeff Gordon is champion this year will be an absolute travesty, I also agree about the qualifying rules
    I actually like the current qualifying rules. It's mostly the quickest that make it as the teams have to earn their guarenteed starting positions. It's only this year when people have started disliking it because of more full time teams entering. Plus I find the battle to make it into the Top 35 entertaining.

What I don't like is the champion's provisional causing teams to replace their origanal driver with past champion's so that they can make races such as Bill Elliott taking over the #21 and Terry Labonte running in the #55.
    I solumly swear I'm up to no good :devil:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree champion provisional has no place anymore.