Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmchow
    That would be cool if you could recreate an entire grid or action scene using models.
    Question is though could you actually race them though?
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SEATFreak
    Question is though could you actually race them though?
    Even though I couldn't literally "race" them, but wouldn't it be cool if you recreated the starting grid or a particular action scene/picture? Ahh, things I would do if I had won the lottery!
    Supertouring Forever and Ever...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ermm...if you don't mind me asking...but...well..what I really meant to ask was...what do you really do with them?

It ain't my place to mock or judge, and I wouldn't mind if you did because I can't help but admire and take my hat of to all you collectors for your dedication, but when you buy these models do you display them and use them as a future investment? Which, as bitter experience tells me, is far better than playing with them to destrcuction as children tend to do.

We all have some idea how much mint condition Dinky's and Corgi's go for. If these weren't taken out the box and kept in their current condition for the next 50-odd years your return on them could be sizeable. You all could potentially have a mini gold mine on your study shelf. I would imagine especially so if the BTCC were to experience future boom years.

Keep them safe and secure at all cost!

I actually wouldn't mind one or two myself. I wonder who can guess what particular car I would like?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I buy them and display them. If they're worth something in future years, that's great, but I don't think of that when I buy them. I just think about them being the next part of my collection. It's mid-season now though, so I don't generally buy anything. I wait until the winter, then I go a bit crazy on eBay when there's no real racing to pay for.

I do have the Donington Park Dunlop bridge for a Scalextric set and have often thought about putting it in the cabinet, with cars going underneath it side by side, but then I thought that's just taking it a bit too far.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I buy them and display them. If they're worth something in future years, that's great, but I don't think of that when I buy them. I just think about them being the next part of my collection. It's mid-season now though, so I don't generally buy anything. I wait until the winter, then I go a bit crazy on eBay when there's no real racing to pay for.
    Well maybe it is high time you did. I don't know if you have kids but the money from the cars, or just knowing they have value, would also be a nice little nest egg for them. That is another use they have financially.

But IMHO it is way to early to tell if they will be the collectable of the future. I think you may have to wait quite a bit before you can even get any advice at all about how much they could be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I do have the Donington Park Dunlop bridge for a Scalextric set and have often thought about putting it in the cabinet, with cars going underneath it side by side, but then I thought that's just taking it a bit too far.
    Not if YOU want to do it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    SEATFREAK I think most people who have larger collections do display them because they enjoy them and don't buy as an investment. Unlike Dinky there will only ever be a limited number of people who would be interested in collecting these models in the future (motorsport fans who like BTCC!). Some weren't released in large numbers so are worth more (these usually are the older models) but we are not taking about hugh sums of money.

Also these models will only ever be bought for display as they can't really be played with as they are too fragile and the wheel aren't always free moving, it also states that on the box!!

I also collect BTCC photos of the cars as well, so these compliment my models. My collections start right from the very early seasons in the late 50s. I've even started to make the models from kits as well.

I think starting watching/enjoying touring cars since 2001 you have missed out a little (they stopped really making BTCC in 1999) on the point of the models. Maybe when they release the WTCC Seats you may change your mind and join in. But maybe not and be like my wife who think they are just stupid little toys!!! :
    Cleland is a legend. :cool:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with you KILOHMUNNS as you say that you don't buy for investment. I'm currently reviewing my display as my models are far greater than my cabinet now. I intend to display all my models and my goal is to collect all touring cars from around the globe. I have my list from the site that was mentioned but just wondered if there may be any that aren't on that list. I didn't know the 94 Cleland Cavalier was out there until I seen it on Ebay.

This is for seatfreak, I notice that Norev have released the WTCC Seat Leon's with the red bull livery. I seen an Ebayer in Germany had bought a few of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrooper_uk
    I agree with you KILOHMUNNS as you say that you don't buy for investment. I'm currently reviewing my display as my models are far greater than my cabinet now. I intend to display all my models and my goal is to collect all touring cars from around the globe. I have my list from the site that was mentioned but just wondered if there may be any that aren't on that list. I didn't know the 94 Cleland Cavalier was out there until I seen it on Ebay.
    I now have lack of space and rotate my collection, I have 2 cabinets and can show 42 models at once, the rest are in storage. I can only help you on BTCC models as that is all I collect, how far back does your collection go? Just supertouring onwards or do you go right back to the 60s like mine?
    Cleland is a legend. :cool:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KILOHMUNNS
    SEATFREAK I think most people who have larger collections do display them because they enjoy them and don't buy as an investment. Unlike Dinky there will only ever be a limited number of people who would be interested in collecting these models in the future (motorsport fans who like BTCC!). Some weren't released in large numbers so are worth more (these usually are the older models) but we are not taking about hugh sums of money.
    Their is those factors also yes that affect monetary vlue. Produced numbers and popularity.

With Dinky or Corgi I think we have the most collected items in the "toys & games" area so the value is in the numbers collected - not in the numbers produces - and even as far as I know the value ain't great because the people involved in it's high demand don't want to trade for big sums of cash. They want a good a deal as possible.

I like small antique silver and at the Gateshead International Stadium an antiques and collectors fair run by someone based near the Telewest Arena stages a fair there sometimes. Their is this one table where their is a display case full and I never buy from the owner - a nice lady - boxes and vesta cases more than about £50. I would be mad to pay loads.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SEATFreak
    Well maybe it is high time you did. I don't know if you have kids but the money from the cars, or just knowing they have value, would also be a nice little nest egg for them. That is another use they have financially.
    I won't ever be selling them. They're mine forever. : Kids? No ta.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrooper_uk
    This is for seatfreak, I notice that Norev have released the WTCC Seat Leon's with the red bull livery. I seen an Ebayer in Germany had bought a few of them.
    They've also been released by Ixo.

Just done a count and I've got 63 cars on display in my room. Didn't realise it was that many!!
    You lot still here?!