...don't stop racing, they just compete spectacularly well in historics.

I had a fantastic time at the Goodwood Revival yesterday, and was delighted to see David Leslie and Anthony Reid competing superbly. On Saturday, both had competed in the first part of the St Mary's Trophy saloon race; Leslie was in a BMW 1800 TiSA, while Reid was driving a Jaguar MkII. Unfortunately, Reid's Jag blew up and dropped a lot of oil, on which many cars spun, leading to a red flag. Among them was another BTCC great, Andy Rouse in a Mercury Comet Cyclone. It rather spoilt proceedings, but they let Reid drive again in Sunday's half of the event, starting at the back. Although he had no chance of an overall placing on aggregate, he was sensational, passing countless cars on the first lap and continuing to charge. At one point, I thought he had a chance of winning, but after another red flag he faded a bit towards the end.

Both Leslie and Reid then competed in the flagship TT Celebration race, with Leslie in a Lister-Jaguar Coupe and Reid in an AC Cobra. Also in the line-up was Rouse, driving a Jaguar E-Type. During an early safety car period, Leslie was really canny by insisting that his co-driver Justin Law came in and let him take over as soon as possible. As a result, the car was vaulted up the field after many ahead didn't make their driver changes. Reid was already out with mechanical problems, but again he had been sensationally fast. Sadly, Martin Stretton had a big shunt in the Bizzarini that brought the pace car out again, this time for good. The race was stopped — Stretton only broke a wrist, but it took some time to extricate him from the car. Leslie's car ended up fourth, with Rouse's fifth. It was such a shame that neither didn't get much of a proper race drive, because they were both very well placed in the event of a restart, but a stoppage was inevitable.

Here's to them all having another go next year, because they are clearly still very quick and competitive — Reid in particular. The photos aren't my best, as I haven't tried my hand at much motorsport photography, but hopefully they capture some of the spectacle of Reid wielding the Jag and Cobra.