Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Rossi complaining

There is no doubting that Valentino is a great rider but recently his complaining seems a bit excessive. He is second in the championship as he was last year and probably will almost definitely equal his worst top GP class position of 2nd. Yet he and his team make this out to be unfair as if it his divine right to be 1st. Success in MotoGP is a combination of the rider, bike, tyres and a bit of luck. No one can win all of the time.

This is what he said on the BBC website.

"Yamaha must change something," Rossi told Gazzetto dello Sport. "I prefer to do something else than race if I have to race like this.

"I don't think anyone likes the tyre situation. There's no battle any more."

First of all he should help Yamaha not criticise them and show he's a racer and not just there to pick up the glory of winning which he has done on more than his fair share on the number one bike of the best (or second best manufacturer). It also shows a lack of respect for the riders he races with by saying he'd rather do something else than be one of them rather than better than them.

The tyre complaints just sour grapes. The rules are the same for everyone. It seems Michelin used to make new tyres for the race based on Friday practice which they can't do anymore which was far more convenient being based in France rather than Japan. The current 31 tyre rule seems far more fair yet the Michelin teams especially Yamaha make the rules out to be unjust on the basis that it confuses the fans is not fair that they have a larger budget than Ducati and Suzuki yet lose in races etc... I just hope he isn't trying to hold MotoGP to ransom by saying he'll quit unless the tyre rules change...
    Extremely impressed with the first 43 laps of Bourdais' race

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    excessive complaining? I don't agree, Biaggi used to find more things to complain about in one practice session than Rossi did in the season so far

Anyway I think you make him sound worst than he did, he is testing new parts they give him and gives feedback, how else can he help the team? He backed up the team's decision to use the new engine.

Also preferring doing something else rather than racing like this. By "like this" did he mean riding 4th? I think he meant having to ride with all sorts of problems, tyre chatter etc...

I think he is handling his situation quite well so far, its not like he started kicking his bike or something, though maybe he should try that, Suzuki got better last year after Hopper parked the bike and started kicking it

As for tyres, let me first say, rules are rules, Michelin knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they signed them. its up to them to find a solution to their problems

having said that, I think the reason many fans are against the new rule is because the old rule was working fine. its the old "if it aint broke dont fix it" approach
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great post, Mikeall. I've just been in another topic writing about Stoner, and mentioned Rossi's less than diplomatic comments (he also said that it's sad that the rider is no longer the major component of success). Chris, don't you think that Mikeall's comments regarding Rossi just getting on with the job are valid? It's not like he's had a tough time of it in years gone by.

Michelin did not do their homework, full stop. Had they worked like Bridgestone and based their development on previous race data, they'd have been fine, but they got complacent because they knew they could take the Friday and Saturday data, make some tyres overnight, and win on Sunday. If Dorna have any balls they will tell Michelin to get it together or else we will award a control tyre contract to Bridgestone... and the old tyre rule was not 'working fine' - Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).

The tyre situation also speaks volumes about Rossi's pass success - had he not been on Michelin all the way perhaps we would not speak of him with such reverence (having said that - he has been a most deserving champion, but now you have to wonder).

Latest word is that the number of tyres allowed to be selected on the Thursday will be increased from 17 - sounds fair to me. I read today that Stoner is the only rider in the field who can make Bridgestone's hardest compound work, though - this is the reason why Capirossi ran out of fuel before Stoner at Misano - wheelspin with a softer compound - and why Stoner is so fast at the end of the race. How you can answer that, I don't know.

And Yamaha simply needs to make the effort to build a more powerful (and reliable) motor. Honda too. Suzuki aren't having much trouble producing the necessary output; they just don't have a Stoner aboard. But we might see Vermeulen redress this imbalance before the year's out.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).
    up to 2005 yes but not in 2006 I think, if it wasn't for the crash in Catalunya that took out Sete for almost the rest of the season and forced Capirossi to ride while not 100% for the next few races, Ducati and Bridgestone would have been serious title contenders last season
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rossi has no problem if Michelin has superiority, now he whines. Great rider, but not a great loser.
    Formula 1

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    When you win 7 world championships it's difficult to be a good loser. I don't blame Rossi at all, it's obvious from the results this season that the Michelins are poor and the 'stones much stronger. That said it's also obvious that Casey has bucked his ideas up and enjoys the bike he's on. Nice to see that as everyone said last year he actually is a good rider when he's not rolling down the road getting covered in carbon fibre.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Great post, Mikeall. I've just been in another topic writing about Stoner, and mentioned Rossi's less than diplomatic comments (he also said that it's sad that the rider is no longer the major component of success). Chris, don't you think that Mikeall's comments regarding Rossi just getting on with the job are valid? It's not like he's had a tough time of it in years gone by.

Michelin did not do their homework, full stop. Had they worked like Bridgestone and based their development on previous race data, they'd have been fine, but they got complacent because they knew they could take the Friday and Saturday data, make some tyres overnight, and win on Sunday. If Dorna have any balls they will tell Michelin to get it together or else we will award a control tyre contract to Bridgestone... and the old tyre rule was not 'working fine' - Michelin were winning all the way, and Bridgestone was an also-ran. The 'many fans' were clearly 'Rossi fans' (and I was one, but fair is fair).

The tyre situation also speaks volumes about Rossi's pass success - had he not been on Michelin all the way perhaps we would not speak of him with such reverence (having said that - he has been a most deserving champion, but now you have to wonder).

Latest word is that the number of tyres allowed to be selected on the Thursday will be increased from 17 - sounds fair to me. I read today that Stoner is the only rider in the field who can make Bridgestone's hardest compound work, though - this is the reason why Capirossi ran out of fuel before Stoner at Misano - wheelspin with a softer compound - and why Stoner is so fast at the end of the race. How you can answer that, I don't know.

And Yamaha simply needs to make the effort to build a more powerful (and reliable) motor. Honda too. Suzuki aren't having much trouble producing the necessary output; they just don't have a Stoner aboard. But we might see Vermeulen redress this imbalance before the year's out.

Spot on Phantom........... i'm a Rossi boy at heart, it's getting a little old hat now with the constant questioning of the rule.... i'm not enjoying this side of Valentino i must say.

He's at it again this morning, with articles up on http://www.crash.net and http://www.autosport.com .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let me get this straight... If the team are struggling/disadvantaged he should be happy and if he's winning he should campaign for better circumstances for everyone else?
    motorbikesport.co.uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeall
    There is no doubting that Valentino is a great rider but recently his complaining seems a bit excessive. He is second in the championship as he was last year and probably will almost definitely equal his worst top GP class position of 2nd. Yet he and his team make this out to be unfair as if it his divine right to be 1st. Success in MotoGP is a combination of the rider, bike, tyres and a bit of luck. No one can win all of the time.

This is what he said on the BBC website.

"Yamaha must change something," Rossi told Gazzetto dello Sport. "I prefer to do something else than race if I have to race like this.

"I don't think anyone likes the tyre situation. There's no battle any more."

First of all he should help Yamaha not criticise them and show he's a racer and not just there to pick up the glory of winning which he has done on more than his fair share on the number one bike of the best (or second best manufacturer). It also shows a lack of respect for the riders he races with by saying he'd rather do something else than be one of them rather than better than them.

The tyre complaints just sour grapes. The rules are the same for everyone. It seems Michelin used to make new tyres for the race based on Friday practice which they can't do anymore which was far more convenient being based in France rather than Japan. The current 31 tyre rule seems far more fair yet the Michelin teams especially Yamaha make the rules out to be unjust on the basis that it confuses the fans is not fair that they have a larger budget than Ducati and Suzuki yet lose in races etc... I just hope he isn't trying to hold MotoGP to ransom by saying he'll quit unless the tyre rules change...
    What is it with all these champions. Do their heads grow to such a size that anything less than eing on the very top is down to everyone else?
    I solumly swear I'm up to no good :devil:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Let me get this straight... If the team are struggling/disadvantaged he should be happy and if he's winning he should campaign for better circumstances for everyone else?
    he has a right to complain. it's just that he makes it all about him.

"me, me me. i am not enjoying it", he says.

well, no one enjoys getting beat. but, tell me, what other rider on bridgestones going back to 2002 complained to this degree?

he is a terribly poor sportsman and a selfish brat, to boot.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.