Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Mark James is lurking

He commentated the 2002 Monte Carlo Rally for Speed Channel and I have not heard much of him (or Jeremy Hart for that matter, Finland 2000 is a good memory for me with his commentary) since then. Once in a while on the odd download of old rallies I find on the internet, I get to hear their great voiceovers and comment that added to much drama, insight, knowledgable perspective and just cool voices. If anyone knows of what they are up too these days and/or if they are active in the rally paddocks I'd greatly appreciate connecting me with them. To me they are unsung heroes of rallying and deserve the appreciation.

Not too mention that Id like to invite them to my nerdy rally forum.
    Yeah, americans love rallying too.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Yeah, I wonder what happened to him and Jeremy Hart. Both covered the WRC when BBC had the highlights, even remember him covering it on 5 Live before that with the Rally updates throughout the season. Just shows how much the WRC is covered in Britain that nobody hears both these journalists anymore.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
    As far as I know Mark James is the Press Officer for the Seat WTCC Team at the moment..
    (not sure of his correct job title, but you know what I mean)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is one of these guys the one that commentated on the coverage that we received in Australia in the late '90s? If so he was fantastic. There was only a half hour show but he made such a good story out of it, really entertaining, and he obviously loved the sport. much better than the coverage today!
    Some times I think the crew that do the coverage these days aren't true WRC fans and the could be covering F1, cycling or even fishing as long as they were getting paid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duff
    i
    Some times I think the crew that do the coverage these days aren't true WRC fans and the could be covering F1, cycling or even fishing as long as they were getting paid.
    I fully agree.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In a stroke of luck I found these vids on YT with his masterful commentary.

Rally AU 1996
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCSUveRl2w

Rally Finland 1996
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai4w...elated&search=

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyCat909
    In a stroke of luck I found these vids on YT with his masterful commentary.

Rally AU 1996
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCSUveRl2w

Rally Finland 1996
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai4w...elated&search=
    Yeah, those are from the '96 official review. Much better commentary, compared to reviews of recent years, where they even dare to put music in the background. So annoying...

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I was in the Ford hospitality in the service area at WRGB last year and Jeremy Hart was there, with Microphone. I think he may have been doing some sort of audio coverage as I didn't see a camera.

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duff
    That depends on what coverage you're watching. Since Finnish YLE dropped WRC this year, I've followed Eurosport and as that ends next Saturday with digi-telly jerk-off, I'm forced to switch to MTV (not the music-TV). Out of these three, YLE was by far the best but that's academic since nobody outside Finland watches that.

My point here is that even if MTV has Sebastian Lindholm's co-driver Tomi Tuominen as a commentator, his passion or expertise does not guarantee a classy show. Quite the contrary, he makes relatively stupid questions and talks more himself than allowing his guests to speak (good host makes short question to the point and allows guest to talk, Tomi does it the other way around). Also, the commentary from the stages is mostly yadda-yadda-yadda, repetitive and non-interesting. I admit that it's difficult to make interesting story out from a stage where nothing happens as largely is the case these days.

On top of that, most coverage must use ISC footage which restrains the TV company equally, creative ideas just can't be made to work with the film they get.

Sorry that this a bit beside the original topic.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts

Thumbs up

Going back to Mark James, he came across as a real enthusiast, who really loved Rallying, also an excellent journalist. It's a real shame and a crime that he can't find work in WRC. What a mess the WRC is, particularly in UK, that none of the media organisations need him. A sad state of affairs indeed.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???