Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoCheever
    I think there is a limit to what you can do and not do

for example you can't add oil I think or maybe that's just and Indy 500 thing

heck it's a Friday before a holiday weekend and there's a ton of racing this weekend

cheers to all !
    I think most series have a rule about adding oil. The thinking being that even if you are burning it, some of it is still ending up on the track making a dangerous condition for all the cars.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvracin
    I'm not aware of any series that doesn't allow it. It really comes down to a) if the car is safe, and b) if the team believes they can gain something from doing so.
    Well, there is a difference between allowing it (which as you pointed out most series do) and being allowed to score championship points. In F1, for instance, you have to complete 90% of the race winner's distance in order to be eligible to score points.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727
    Is it an unwritten rule that you can repair a vehicle and go back out on the track? I think it's ridiculous that you are able to get back out on the track just to get points. What happened to retiring from a race and actually being retired from the race? I think they should crack down on this because I don't agree with what's going on.
    The race isn't over until the checkered flag is waved.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A car returning from repairs in the pit or paddock is subject to approval from a pit marshall. If the car is then displaying something unsafe, race control can order it back in. It is part of course marshalls' jobs to look for and report leaking fluids, loose wings, etc. and, of course, the speed will be monitored.

Job well done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    in F1 you can only make repairs and return if the car gets to the pits withtout any help. actually I only remember one ocassion where it actually happened(Sato at the Canadian GP 2005)

I honestly find rather silly that a smashed car who clearly couldn't get to the pits or anywhere else without a crane returns to the race 50 laps later
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jso1985
    i
    I honestly find rather silly that a smashed car who clearly couldn't get to the pits or anywhere else without a crane returns to the race 50 laps later
    You don't understand the nature of modern auto racing.

Quiz time --

A modern race car runs on:

1. Benzine
    2. Ethanol
    3. Methanol
    4. Sponsor Dollars

If you chose #4, then you really do understand modern auto racing! I suspect, however, that you didn't chose #4, which explains your lack of understanding on why a car, covered in sponsor logos, returns to a track to run a race in front of thousands of people in the stands as well as millions watching TV.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool

I have yet to be at any race where a disabled car, repaired either in the pits or in the garage was not greeted by cheering fans when it returned to the track. The exception of course would be Jeff Gordon in any race outside of California. The NASCAR Hillbillies hate him so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LTalbot
    I have yet to be at any race where a disabled car, repaired either in the pits or in the garage was not greeted by cheering fans when it returned to the track. The exception of course would be Jeff Gordon in any race outside of California. The NASCAR Hillbillies hate him so.
    You left out Indiana, he's well liked there too.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gm99
    Well, there is a difference between allowing it (which as you pointed out most series do) and being allowed to score championship points. In F1, for instance, you have to complete 90% of the race winner's distance in order to be eligible to score points.
    True, but points are awarded much differently in F1. Most American series award participation and consistency over pure race wins. Honestly, why do teams like STR, super Aguri and Spyker even show up, only to park their cars at the first off track excursion or minor damage to the car?

Fans pay to see cars ON TRACK, not in the garage. Also, why should a championship contenders entire season be ruined because some bonehead back marker ran the contender off track. Should he loose all points or be allowed back into the race and salvage a few points and keep an otherwise championship caliber season alive?

Think about the F1 seasons ruined at the first turn of a race or by their prime competetor simply running the challenger off track. If it was possible for Senna and Prost to regain the race after an incident, how would those seasons have turned out? Even F1 will red flag a race and allow car repairs or a T car in the event of a major incident. Think how many times that has actually happened. Keep cars on the track as long as they are safe!
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Honestly, why do teams like STR, super Aguri and Spyker even show up, only to park their cars at the first off track excursion or minor damage to the car?
    I think the Concorde Agreement obligates them to show up at every race.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd