Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He couldnt win it when there was a full field of talented drivers, so now he figures with approx 10 talented drivers and 23 "fillers" the odds of him winning are better. Not to mention that if he drives, half of the cars that could contend, he owns. So for Mikey to get his win, all he really needs to do is beat 5 cars and issue some team orders. Thats something to be proud of.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's still quite capable of winning.
    He still wants it.
    Surely, this helps attract sponsor interest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say go for it as long as you are still competitive. When he goes out and proves he has lost the touch, pack it in. Don't stay out there like a rolling chicane like Cheever did.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yawn.... doesnt matter if there were only 2 cars in the race, Michael still wont win :
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xander918
    He couldnt win it when there was a full field of talented drivers, so now he figures with approx 10 talented drivers and 23 "fillers" the odds of him winning are better. Not to mention that if he drives, half of the cars that could contend, he owns. So for Mikey to get his win, all he really needs to do is beat 5 cars and issue some team orders. Thats something to be proud of.
    23 fillers? Gee, that sounds like an insult to the Indy 500 if you ask me..

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Drewdawg, it is the truth. Most Indy 500 fields have about 15 to 25 guys who likely have no hope of winning a race period, much less the Indy 500. With the diluted IRL being only 18 to 20 full time cars, in which only 10 guys can win, I would have to say any one else showing up for a one off have no shot. IN short, the Indy 500 may have 33 starters, but the serious money never leaves about 8 names. Maybe 20 years ago 15 cars were serious threats, but right now, 8 is a stretch. As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competitive, and who isn't, and there is not many surprises....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Drewdawg, it is the truth. Most Indy 500 fields have about 15 to 25 guys who likely have no hope of winning a race period, much less the Indy 500. With the diluted IRL being only 18 to 20 full time cars, in which only 10 guys can win, I would have to say any one else showing up for a one off have no shot. IN short, the Indy 500 may have 33 starters, but the serious money never leaves about 8 names. Maybe 20 years ago 15 cars were serious threats, but right now, 8 is a stretch. As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competitive, and who isn't, and there is not many surprises....
    Mark, let's think for a second before we make blanket statements like that. First off, in all life there are pecking orders, so it is as you say "As the month of May goes on, you realize quickly who is going to be competetive... ...there is (sic) not many surprises..." That's true whether it was 1995 and Team Penske doesn't qualify, or it's 2005. There will always be a top third, a middle pack, and the backmarkers.

THinking about 2007, who is a threat to win?
    Sam Hornish
    Helio Castro-neves
    Dan Wheldon
    Tony Kanaan
    Scott Dixon
    Dario Franchetti
    Marco Andretti
    Vitor Miera
    Scott Sharp

That's 9, would you be surprised if any of those won?

You could also add Tomas Schecter and Danica, to the list for 11, and don't forget Michael to make 12 threats to win, 13 if Buddy Rice gets the third Vision car. Truthfully, the winner will probably come out of the first 9 listed, but's that's probably the way it is any year. There are seldom many surprise winners, I can think of maybe 2, AL Unser in 1987, and Graham Hill in 1966.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes but you can have your favorites but on the final lap last year, no one on the planet would've though Marco would be leading the 500, before he didn't run flat out like Sam did and got beat. in all cards Wheldon should've won the race as he had the most dominent car in the race pulling out by 10 seconds at one point
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Alex, I said 8, and you put 9 down and included Sharp and Marco, who I wouldn't have put in that BEFORE the race. As for Danica, she might get in the top 10, but I never will see her as a race winner at Indy. She led only because of a fuel gamble situation that was a long shot, and she spun and wrecked a few guys on the way to that finish. No, I stand by what I said. 8 to 10 drivers tops. You proved my point I think. 20 cars that enter every year are severe long shots, even if the drivers don't think so. The longest shot ever that damned near won was when Scott Goodyear finished second to Al Jr. He was 33rd in qualifying (back when we had 50 cars show up and lots of bumping) and survived an attrition fest due to the freakishly cold temps to hang on and make Al Jr's life miserable. That is a very rare thing that a guy that far back is there at the end sniffing for the lead...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".