Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gronholm 2008?

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    I think he has told the truth, that he doesn't know himself what to do. If the 12 round series would be in allready 2008 it would be easier for him to continue, but with all the traveling involved in 16 rounds maybe that is what makes him quit?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corny
    Michael Schumacher taught me that the best time to quit is when you're still on top, so maybe it's better for Marcus to retire indeed, even though I would miss him!

Michael did quit at the top, if you are saying he should have stopped as champion how many do you think he should have won before quitting? Had he had the 'stop when the goings good' approach he would never have got to 7 titles...
    Had he wanted he would have been at the top this year also, time to quit is when you discover there are other things in life you would rather be doing
    Deep down I'm a sound bloke!

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Gronholm has nowhere to go from now on but down as far as his performance goes...i don't think that he will be able to find some extra speed to challenge Loeb next year so the choice is either retire, go to a new team like suzuki and develop the car but forgeting good results (pretty much something like kankkunen was in hyundai and auriol to skoda) and of course he can choose the makinen option......

Liked 664 Times in 357 Posts
    It is all mental and only down to whether he is willing to continue or not. At the moment Ford would not have anyone to replace him so Malcolm will no doubt want Marcus to carry on. Marcus' facial expression in Monday's presentation was one of having been through enough interviews and judging by that, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day.

Speedwise N.O.T is correct, there hardly is a way up for Marcus in terms of out-and-out speed but to expect his performance drop drastically is folly. At the moment he's only 13th at the list of all-time oldest WRC winners. Both Auriol and Sainz were 42 when they won Catalunya 2001 and Argentina 2004 respectively. Since Safari was dropped, it is almost impossible for any modern driver to surpass Waldegard's record of winning at 46 years of age but certainly there is more fire in Marcus still.

In fact, of the WRC event winners, only Joaquim Moutinho and Henri Toivonen won on their last season in WRC. Everyone else had more or less slow fade to retirement.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    Marcus' facial expression in Monday's presentation was one of having been through enough interviews and judging by that, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. I think he looks p*ssed almost every time when interviewed..
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. I think he looks p*ssed almost every time when interviewed..
    Hehe...very true. But I've noticed that Marcus looks more disinterested and less energetic than before. He's as fast as ever, though. Nobody wants him to retire, but I'm afraid Marcus feels differently. Frankly, it'd be a surprise if he decides to stay.

Jonkka: that's a lot of very precise info! Could it be due to your fantastic website?
    My all-rally blog: because rallying should be FUN!
    amberie.wordpress.com

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD
    I think he has told the truth, that he doesn't know himself what to do. If the 12 round series would be in allready 2008 it would be easier for him to continue, but with all the traveling involved in 16 rounds maybe that is what makes him quit?
    Agree 100%.

Mr. Wilson has apparently said that he believes Marcus shall continue.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    In fact, of the WRC event winners, only Joaquim Moutinho and Henri Toivonen won on their last season in WRC. Everyone else had more or less slow fade to retirement.
    Didn't Sainz also win in 2004? Argentina maybe? I didn't count his two rallies in 2005 as a season though.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Could Marcus retirement lead to Seb's quit also due to boredom?

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Priorat
    Could Marcus retirement lead to Seb's quit also due to boredom?
    If Pescarolo really gets a Peugeot diesel, Seb might even make a switch into sportscars, he seemed to quite like it last time.

And apparently Sordo also wants to go do DTM...
    .................................................. ..................................................