Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sometimes I think it's the other way round. To current British riders, winning means too much.
    They're always saying that they won't move to from BSB to World Supers or from WSBK to MotoGP unless they can win races. Well, Carlos Checa wasn't going to win races at Tech 3 Yamaha, but he rode the wheels off the thing and impressed the hell out of everybody, bagging a Honda ride. (OK, he picked the one year when Honda are rubbish!)
    There's certainly a strange difference between Brits and Aussies, though. The constant complaint is that Brits can't find sponsorship and don't have the right passport. However, when Aussies like Stoner, Vermeulen and West (sponsorless, and don't have Spanish or Italian passports as far as I know) get decent rides, people in Britain claim it's because of Australian mechanics and engineers talking them up in the paddock. Yeah, right!
    I think British riders tend to rest on their laurels. They'd rather be a big fish in a small pond.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The latter part of this thread could be merged into the 'Are Brits Negative?' one, might have a think about that later although it would be confusing

It is true that Brits have done...nothing at MotoGP level for some time, although with Bradley Smith we've got a real prospect for the future who's already on the right path with backing (the rumour has him being offered an Aspar Aprilia for next year). If JT takes this year's WSB title he should move to MotoGP, give it a try. Neil Hodgson may have had a terrible time with D'Antin Ducati but I don't think worse of him for having tried it. The two years after that he beat each of the Bostrom brothers pretty easily on their home turf. Things didn't work out in GPs for Troy B either as a regular and no-one thinks bad of him, and Colin Edwards is hardly having a ball.

Other top-class Brits either got on rubbish machinery (Chris Walker in 2001 with a shoddy team, Shakey in 2004 on the ApriliBeast) or on previous championship pedigree shouldn't have been there but were hardly going to turn down the opportunity (Jeremy McWilliams, James Ellison).

Looking at the current Brit up-and-comers I'd say Camier and Sykes need another year in BSB (Sykes has yet to get a podium although has been 4th-7th in 15 out of 16 races with one DNF, and been very close to the winner in several close finishes), and Craig Jones who if he can get consistently near the front in WSS might get looked at. Chaz is in a funny spot now he's over in the US. The big prospect who should be thinking of moving onwards and upwards to MotoGP or WSB ASAP is Jonny Rea, otherwise he runs the risk of getting stuck in the UK a la Kiyo or Leon Haslam.

None of this has anything to do with any of the points raised about Laguna, but never mind...
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Regarding British riders in Moto GP; very few if any have got on a factory machine, it's nearly always a satellite machine, which is why I'm slightly worried about JT's supposed move. Bradley Smith looks as though he's going about it the 'proper' way, starting off in 125's, hopefully then 250's (or whatever replaces them), then Moto GP. Didn't Crutchlow do the same Moto GP academy as Smith, yet now does BSB? When are Brits gonna lose the fixation with Superbikes?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just a short quick statement from me:

No the title is not over by a distance............but:

If the rumors of Yamaha debuting the pneumatic valve powerplant for Valentino are true, do you all think that it's a "make or break" decision for Yamaha? Massive risk, just throwing the engine out there with minimal testing and straight into Vale's bike.........

If it fails, and mechanical gremlins rear their little heads...... then Casey will take the Championship in front of the faithful at Phillip Island.

If not, and providing Michelin pull their heads out of the sand, it's game on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My two cents. The championship isn't over yet, but it could be as good as decided depending on what happens right after the break. ROssi has to come out of the gates winning races. He needs 2 back to back wins or at least 2 races with some serious point gains over Casey to bring the fight.
    go speed racer go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree Fatman, although I said to my partner before Saschenring "Rossi MUST win this race otherwise it's game over for him". Well we know what happened there. But as usual, you can't ever write the Doctor off.

Speaking of that moniker, a letter to the current issue of Australian MotorCycle News (AMCN):

"I know we currently refer to Rossi as The Doctor, but maybe next year we call him The Proctologist because he is spending so much time looking up Stoner's arse."

Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom

"I know we currently refer to Rossi as The Doctor, but maybe next year we call him The Proctologist because he is spending so much time looking up Stoner's arse."

GOLD. Pure Gold.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i think camier, rea and even haslam should all move out as quickly as possible. bsb is a great series, but if the brits want to compete in motogp they need to get on the world stage.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    I agree Fatman, although I said to my partner before Saschenring "Rossi MUST win this race otherwise it's game over for him". Well we know what happened there. But as usual, you can't ever write the Doctor off.

Speaking of that moniker, a letter to the current issue of Australian MotorCycle News (AMCN):

LMAO! Bucking Frilliant

as for the championship being over - geeze you guys really dont have any faith in Casey do you!

If Rossi does challange agains whats making everyone assume Casey is going to Crack - if anything Rossi/Yahmah is the one Cracking amto

Rossi will at best half the defecit
    Casey Stoner: 2007 World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patnicholls
    None of this has anything to do with any of the points raised about Laguna, but never mind...
    Great post, can't argue with any of it. Most of the points raised weren't about Laguna anyway.