Page 99 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts

Re: The Get fit club!

I saw this fellow on my ride to work this morning. It looked as if he was getting a good workout.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

Those xc roller skis are lethal, no brakes and the ski binds make them less sturdy than on roller skates. Lot of roller skate people use ski poles here when doing long exercises, you get a pretty good upper body work put with them and it's goot training for xc skii-ing.

First bike ride in two weeks, I'm not sure if it's the break in training or the first cold air ride after summer (7C ) but I felt thoroughly trashed from the first uphill onwards. Technical trails didn't help either.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Did my last cycle event of the year yesterday the "Hell of Hexham", 52 miles up steep hills and into the teeth of a gale.

I've done 7 events this year, starting with doing the sportive in Leeds at the end of February.

I'm looking forward to doing more next year; hopefully a bit more spread out throughout the year, as this year all but two of them were in August & September. Would be nice do be doing an organised ride once every 4-6 weeks as it gives you something to aim for.

This year I literally could have done one every weekend (sometimes two in a weekend) during August/September but earlier in the year it's a bit more sparse.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Was that Leeds sportive that long ago? That day was bloody freezing! You even have a new bike since then.

I invested in a turbo trainer yesterday I am NOT going to loose all my fitness over winter this year.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Admin

Yeah it was a long while ago now! Apparently Evans have got 12 extra events lined up for next year so hopefully there might be more local ones towards the start of the year.

Think I'm going to get a turbo for Christmas help build up some fitness again especially if Spring is as bad as it was this year! But it feel very much like end of season yesterday.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

Did my first half marathon over the weekend with a time just over 1 hour 45. Not bad I suppose but fell into the classic beginners trap of going too quickly at the start and not having anything left at the end. There are some scarily fit people out there, including a guy pushing a pushchair with a five year old kid with Downs who left me behind at the halfway point...

Looking forward to doing it again next year though with a few lessons learnt and a longer training period.

Admin

Thinking about getting a cheap mountain bike to trash about at lunchtimes at work as I'm being forced to take hour long rather than half hour for lunch soon. Any recommendations as to what sort of thing I should be looking for?

Not just lunchtime of course, I've fancied getting a MTB for a while, as a counterpoint to having a skinny tyred road bike!

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

There was a lovely Nicolai Ion tested at Pinkbike.com, but you're not looking to spend 2000Eur on frame alone, are you?
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Thinking about getting a cheap mountain bike to trash about at lunchtimes at work as I'm being forced to take hour long rather than half hour for lunch soon. Any recommendations as to what sort of thing I should be looking for?

Not just lunchtime of course, I've fancied getting a MTB for a while, as a counterpoint to having a skinny tyred road bike!
    I may have one available for you?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Did my first half marathon over the weekend with a time just over 1 hour 45. Not bad I suppose but fell into the classic beginners trap of going too quickly at the start and not having anything left at the end. There are some scarily fit people out there, including a guy pushing a pushchair with a five year old kid with Downs who left me behind at the halfway point...
    Good for you Malbec!
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti